Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Loading Operating System during WinXP install

• Please log in to reply

newarrior

newarrior

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, all!

I added a new hard drive to my old system, an Abit NF8 motherboard (http://www.uabit.com...age=1&model=235). I put the drive in, rebooted, made the DVD-Rom drive the first bootable device, and loaded the Windows XP disc. It formatted the drive (not the quick format), copied the files needed to install Windows, rebooted automatically, and then came up with the dreaded "Error Loading Operating System" error when it tried to load Windows to install.

I've contacted Abit, and my hd is compatible with their board (a 500g Seagate). They suggested a new power supply, but I've got a 420w supply in right now, and it was fine when my older 250g Seagate drive was in there before.

I've also tried loading the drive as "LARGE" instead of Auto in the Bios, but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Was this a new 500GB drive or had you already used it?

Edited by Titan8990, 19 March 2008 - 03:18 PM.

newarrior

newarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Was this a new 500GB drive or had you already used it?

First time.

I also took my old C drive, put it back in, reformatted, and I'm getting the same "Error Loading Operating System" error now at the same point. I also replaced the power supply, but it didn't help, still getting the same error. At this point, I can only assume it's a problem with the motherboard.

Edited by newarrior, 19 March 2008 - 04:36 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the solution here...

newarrior

newarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

try the solution here...

I did try making the drive "LARGE" in the Bios and reinstalled, but it still didn't work, before posting here.

Huh, I just tried to put my old power supply back in a different machine, and it looks like the supply died. Is it possible that the supply died and somehow fried the motherboard?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I just tried to put my old power supply back in a different machine, and it looks like the supply died. Is it possible that the supply died and somehow fried the motherboard?

sometimes they die all by themselves...sometimes they go "postal" and take other components with them...

a quick test of your hardware would be to try puppy linux...it will run totally in ram...
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

newarrior

newarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, will try and let you know how it turns out!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:)