Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
I'm trying to make a network connections between 2 Windows XP computers with SP2 on, I have the network between the 2 computers working, but i can not get the client comp to connect to the internet. If i click 'obtain ip addresses automatically' it then says limited or no connectivity, but if i put IP addresses in, it won't connect to the internet (client comp)
Please Help

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
quoted from http://www.chicagotech.net

"This connection has limited or no connectivity. "
"You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources"
Symptoms: after installed Windows XP SP2 and, you may experience one or any of the following symptoms:

· The network connection is working properly while you receive this message "Limited or No Connectivity".

· The network connection displays above message and you can’t access the network.

· You can’t renew the IP and receive this error: “An error occurred when renewing interface Local Area Connection: Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.”

· The ipconfig displays an APIPA address 169.254.x.x address.

· You have trouble connecting to the Internet with the DLS or cable modem.

Resolutions:

1. If your computer is currently connected to the Internet and the LAN without any connection problem, you may want to disable the message "Limited or No Connectivity".

2. If you are using DHCP, verify DHCP server is available on your network and other computers can access it.

3. Download and install the Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)

4. Check hardware connation and configuration.

5. Check firewall, spyware and winsock settings.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, I know this might be obvious but have you checked that your ethernet cable between the 2 PCs is connected properly?

You will also need to use a cross over cable if directly connecting two PCs together or a patch cable if connecting through a Hub/Switch.

Hope this is helpfull!

Ben

virtslasher1

virtslasher1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Joesquire, what are your two computers' operating systems?

If they are different you may need to restart your connection or roll back the driver and reinstall it.

HOW TO RESTART CONNECTION

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click "Network Connections"

3. Choose whatever ethernet connection you wish to fix

4. Click "Repair"

5. It may/may not work.

HOW TO ROLL BACK YOUR DRIVER

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click "System"

3. Choose the Hardware tab

4. Click "Device Manager"

5. Choose "Network Adapters"

6. Double-Click the connection you wish to fix.

7. Choose the Driver tab.

8. Choose to either "roll back driver" or "update driver"

9. It may/may not work again.

If you have another question please post for me. I'll be happy to see what I can do.

------------------------------------------------------

Virt Slasher 1
http:/www.stormytech.org/

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i would use static ips and point the default gateway and dns server manually to the computer hosting the internet just simply use its ip for default gateway and dns.

jannali_jen

jannali_jen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,
Like Partyben I too apologise for going back to basics, but have you set up the shared internet connection properly?

On the main PC you need to go into "Network Connections" and go thru "set up a home or small office network". It will then provide you with settings to be run on the client PC.
Good Luck

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
There are a number of causes of the 'Limited or no connectivity' message. Below are some fixes:
1) Download the Microsoft Hotfix.
2)Run this short Registry fix to complete the update. Type the following lines in Notepad and save the file as FixReg.reg on your desktop, then double click on it to install into your registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]
"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002
Reboot your computer
3) Reset the TCP/IP stack - Run WinsockXP Fix.
Restart your computer.
4) Winsock corruption -
Delete the corrupted registry keys
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
Install TCP/IP
Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Restart the computer.
5) Turn off your computer and then reset your router. Wait two minutes, and then turn your computer back on.
6) Turn off your computer, unplug your router from your modem, wait ten minutes, plug your router back into the modem and wait another two minutes; turn your computer back on.

If none of the above worked, try one of these:
1) Your Network or DSL router may have bad or missing information. Powercycle your router and/or rebuild the configuration in your router.

2) Double-check your cabling to the computer. Make sure you have the correct type of cabling, straight-through CAT 5 or possibly a crossover cable and try another cable or test the cable to make sure its working properly.

3) Check your network card to make sure its configured correctly and working properly. Many times setting the network card to 10Mbps/Full Duplex will solve this issue. To do this, open Control Panel, System, Device Manager. Go to the properties of the Network card, click on the Advanced tab and find the Link Speed and Duplex section. Change it from Auto Detect to 10Mbps/Full Duplex.

4) Check and test your firewall. Your firewall, especially if its a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, Black Ice, Norton Firewall or something else could be blocking the connection. Disable your firewall and test the connection. You may have to resolve the problem by even uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall.