Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - Stop:0X0000008E

• Please log in to reply

rhaal

rhaal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I'm running an HP pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC and am running into problems with Windows Vista after the SP1 installation.

I have two antivirus programs installed on my computer: AVG full edition and Webroot's SpySweeper, again the full edition. AVG's firewall will pop up randomly asking me whether or not to allow SpySweeper access into the internet, and when I click "Allow for all," the blue screen will appear with the following message:

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X82EA1E2D, 0X9DC4CA18, 0X00000000)
TCPIP:sys: Address 82EA1E2D base at 82E7B000, Datestamp 47919120

Previous to the SP1 installation, my system configuration, including running both antivirus software, worked fine. I also run multiple antivirus software on my previous notebook and desktop computer.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Do you have Webroot with Sophos Antivirus or just Spy Sweeper (realtime antimalware scanner)?

If you have two antivirus programs running at the same time, they will compete with each other. They are resource hogs and will compete for your system's resources. They may even fight each other's virus definitions.

I would suggest you uninstall one or the other.

rhaal

rhaal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SpySweeper

rhaal

rhaal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
As I mentioned before though, I've never had problems with this type of configuration. My last computer I always had two shields running, one from McAfee and one from AVG and my computer worked flawlessly. I've also monitored memory usage and such before and during the firewall prompt, and neither my CPU nor my Memory usage spikes upwards.

Would two competing antivirus bundles cause a blue screen though?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
It's possible. Turn one of them off. You can use both, but not at the same time.... see if you still get the BSOD.

You can also look in the events viewer to see what app or possibly a driver that caused the problem. Type eventvwr in either 'run' or start search box. Check from there.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Forgot to ask what version of Vista are you running and how much Ram?