Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Product Key Question

• Please log in to reply

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Let make sure I understand this correctly. If I buy Vista, and register my key, whatever hardware configuration I'm using at the time becomes tied-in with my key and I won't be able to re-install it on another machine, or make hardware changes that are in anyway drastic. Right? Please tell me I'm wrong. I plan on building a computer and dual booting it with linux, and I already know that I'm going to skrew it up repeatedly, and am going to need to reinstall multiple times. And I plan on making hardware changes further down the road whenever the need arose. If I buy Vista, and I need to make a change, am I effectivly shafted?

Advertisements

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I hate to tell you but by right you are right but I did the same thing that you are worried about I installed Premium about 5 times in 13 days called MS about 12 times and it was because every time I changed something I had to go through the reactivate thing> So I would call and tell them no more than they ask just say had to reinstall because of drive problem and they ask how many computer is this key installed on and you say one they have you read of your numbers and they give you there numbers and you are activated that is about all there is to it i would even joke with the guy i talked to but they seen to be robots just doing a boring job. Just don't tell them your doing hardware changed remember you had to do a reinstall because of software problems or something like that. You don't tell then it is mother board change or any thing like that a hard drive failure would be alright. Read the EULA and you will know all the rules. I ended up installing vista Ultimate in the end and I have had less problems with that version in the long run.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
It depends on the version of Vista. There are two major types of Windows installations: Retail and OEM. A retail copy can only be installed on one machine at a time, while an OEM version can only be installed on one computer period. Both can be reinstalled any number of times, thanks to the newly revised EULA. A retail copy, while it is more expensive, comes with Microsoft support and the ability to transfer to another machine, as long as it is only being used on only one at a time. An OEM copy is tied into your system, notably your motherboard. Changing your hard drive or your motherboard will require re-activation and probably a call to a Microsoft Activation center. But most other hardware changes (speakers, video card, even the processor) will not affect your activation or installation.
So a more expensive Retail version doesn't care about the machine itself as long as it is only on one machine. A less expensive OEM version is tied to the motherboard of the computer, and would need to be re-activated only if the mobo is replaced (or obviously if the HDD is reformatted or replaced).

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is there a number of instalations that I can do in a certain time span? I already know I'm going to skrew up a few times before this is done and over with and I just want to make sure I'm covered and don't have to buy a new lisence whenever I make a major upgrade to my machine.

And just for the record I need to buy this and not this, right?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

It depends on the version of Vista. There are two major types of Windows installations: Retail and OEM. A retail copy can only be installed on one machine at a time, while an OEM version can only be installed on one computer period. Both can be reinstalled any number of times, thanks to the newly revised EULA. A retail copy, while it is more expensive, comes with Microsoft support and the ability to transfer to another machine, as long as it is only being used on only one at a time. An OEM copy is tied into your system, notably your motherboard. Changing your hard drive or your motherboard will require re-activation and probably a call to a Microsoft Activation center. But most other hardware changes (speakers, video card, even the processor) will not affect your activation or installation.
So a more expensive Retail version doesn't care about the machine itself as long as it is only on one machine. A less expensive OEM version is tied to the motherboard of the computer, and would need to be re-activated only if the mobo is replaced (or obviously if the HDD is reformatted or replaced).

Huh I didn't know that.. Thanks Admiral :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. [...] only one user may use the software at a time. [...] You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

There is no limit to the number of installations, whether on the same computer or a different machine, as long as it is only in use one one machine at a time.
If you expect to be changing your motherboard, you do not want the OEM copy (the second one you linked). But if you expect your motherboard to be changed or replaced, or if you want microsoft support, you will need the Retail copy (the first one).

Huh I didn't know that.. Thanks Admiral :)

No prob!

Edited by The Admiral, 20 March 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Tactical Fart

Tactical Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cool! I thought there was going to be a bump along the way, but now that it's cleared up, I don't have to worry anymore. This isn't the first time I've been helped on this forum. It rocks!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm glad we could help!