Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows NT 4.0 WorkStation installation problems on SCSI PC

• Please log in to reply

mihaela vinereanu

mihaela vinereanu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Could you please help me on this one?

I have an old Digital Server 1000 (with SCSI disk - 2 disks) and on this PC there was Windows NT 4.0 installed. For some reasons that I don't know, when I turn it on, it stops with the following error:
"Stop: C0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
The procedure entry point _aulldvrm could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.
Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or the /CRASHDEBUG system start option."

I want to reinstall Windows NT 4.0 on it. I have the Boot CD, but this PC doesn't suport the option "Boot from CD" in BIOS (but it has a CD-ROM).
I searched on the internet and it seems that in order to boot from floppy, I need the SCSI drives for this system, but I cannot copy them because the PC stops as described above and I cannot see any files from the system.

What can be done in order to install a fresh version of Windows NT 4.0?

Really grateful for any ideas, I ran out of them :)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi mihaela vinereanu.
Lets try an Easy way 1st go to bootdisk.com Bootdisk
and download a 98se boot disk. When you start the computer with this disk in it will load a cd rom driver for you and it will have the option to start computer with cd rom support.
Cheers
peterm

mihaela vinereanu

mihaela vinereanu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Peter,

Thank you for your fast reply!
Hmm.. look how things went (because I don't quite know what's happening there)

I did boot from floppy, I chose the first option "Start computer with CD-ROM support",
while having the Windows NT CD in the CD_ROM.

A list of drivers that were not found for my device (device name: MSCD001 it says) flashed before my eyes.
But then, there was a message:
"ASPI CD-ROM driver for DOS
Version 4.01S
Host Adapter 0, Target SCSI ID=5 - LUN0:TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA0557
CD-ROM driver installed: 1 host adapter(s), 1 target(s)"
which made me believe that a drive for the CD-ROM was found and installed.

Another message was about the RAMdrive (virtual disk) created:
"C:
Disk size: 2.048 K
Sector size: 512 bytes
Allocation unit: 2 sectors
Directory entries: 64"

After that, another message was displayed: "Preparing to start your computer.
This may take a few minutes.Please wait", followed by a sort of error message:
"Windows 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition [..possible causes]"

..and then, after "the diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C",
on the screan appeared:
"MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright [..]
Drive D:=Driver MSCD001 unit 0"
and the prompt A:\> appeared.
------------

OK.. so I tried to see what's happening.. it can see A and C (the floppy I made as you said
and probably the RAMDrive created by it). It could also change to D, but it could not read it
(when I tried to give the 'dir' command or the 'scandisk' command, it gives me a message
that sounds like 'Not ready to read data, Retry, Abort, Failed?'). Any other letters tried didn't have a chance.

Now I know that my partitions are NTFS.. I really didn't expect it to be a problem :)
I don't know what was supposed to happen next.. the CD-ROM part? It doesn't move..

Today, someone that used to work with this station told me that it is possible for the
CD-ROM to be broken, although the PC 'sees' it. Do you think this can be it? I sure hope not :)

I will attach the SCSI ID list and the result of the command fdisk /status, maybe there is something there, I don't know.

Thank you for your patience.. it gave me patience to try and try and.. :) maybe something will work.
Meanwhile, on the site you pointed me to, there was something wich could be used to read NTFS partitions.. I will try to see if I can make it work maybe to
try an installation using floppies.. don't know

Have a nice day,
mihaela

Attached Files

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok your cd drive can be a scsi drive.
I did not think of NT being an NTFS drive. You could try an ntfs boot disk.
Ntfs boot disk click on me
or a linux boot disk
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 22 March 2008 - 02:45 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows NT4 has issues with NTFS drives if they've been formatted in the newer NTFS format that Windows 2000 and XP use - realistically the older NTFS version 4 is needed. A DOS boot disk will never see an NTFS partition no matter which NTFS version it is.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Here are a couple articles to read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126690
http://www.cae.wisc....itle=nt4install

mihaela vinereanu

mihaela vinereanu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone and thanks for your support and sollutions offered!

I've checked the links and also google it again after words and ideas that you gave me and finally found the following site:
http://www.answersth...nd_Boot_CDs.htm

Then, I've downloaded the Floppy Disk Manager 2.1 and the three Install - Windows NT4-Workstation/Install Disks (images of the boot floppies).
I found out that my CD-ROM indeed is not working, but I think it might be a driver missing. So I did a repair of the old system installed, the one that wouldn't boot, and hoped that everything worked out without any modification in the boot.ini, Ntbootdd.sys (my driver was on the floppy),NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR files.

And I was lucky enough for this to work.
The PC is running now and everything seems to work ok (apart of the CD-ROM) :)

Thanks again and have a nice day!
Mihaela