Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot computer properly outside safe mode, White dots on DOS

• Please log in to reply

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey
I started my computer last night and loaded up world of warcraft. When loading the screen went black, no sound played and my monitor displayed the message, Resolution out of range set to 1284 x 1024. i then reset my computer since i couldn't do anything on my monitor or use my computer since i was faced with a black screen to find that the DOS boot screen was covered in white pixelated squares behind the writing. Thought this was a bit weird but i continued to let it boot, till it reached the Windows XP loading screen. After this loaded it just went to a black screen without showing any of the welcome screen.
I rebooted to let it run to safe mode, which it works almost fine in. The only thing that is wrong with it in safe mode is that the windows lag slightly when i use the scroll bar, or move them around the screen.
The only way i can get the computer to boot outside of safe mode is to use the last known working configuration thing on the safe mode selection screen. Although the dots on the bootup still show and the windows movements still lag alot. I can't play any games, they just don't load or show any error messages, playing songs on windows media player just says that i have no sound card or it's drivers aren't installed.
I went into device manager and was faced with error symbols next to:

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (graphics card)

Ethernet Controller

Nvidia® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface

Nvidia® nForce™ MCP Audio Processing Unit

Upon opening these error messages all for each one is 'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)'.

Dxdiag shows my Display tab as having n/a on graphics cards and sound devices.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem or what's wrong with it? Kinda need my computer for college work also so any help would be appreciated.

System spec:

Windows XP Pro SP2
System Manufacturer: Nvidia
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v.6.00 PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 304MB Used, 2619MB Available
DirectX 9.0c

Edited by Caljif, 20 March 2008 - 11:52 AM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like you either need to update/reinstall your video driver or possibly (the dots are a concern )that the video card you have is beginning to fail. It's also possible that you are trying to run the monitor beyond it's capability... you could try resetting your resolution... when you get to the screen where you can select safe mode look for enable vga mode and try that if it's available.. see if you can then boot to full windows.... if you can you can try resetting your resolution up slowly to see if you can find the best setting for your video card/monitor combo... you reset your resolution by right clicking on the desktop ( but not on an icon ) then select properties and then settings.. you can then change the resolution and the color quality....

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I've tried reinstalling the drivers =( In Safe mode it's succesful but doesn't improve the situation, and in normal mode it just cuts out to the black screen. When trying to run games etc. or looking on dxdiag it shows me as having no graphics card connected. I haven't changed anything at all so i don't think my monitor's the problem, Graphics card packed in maybe. =/

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers from safe mode and then reinstalling them ( perferably the latest downloaded from the internet ) and then reinstalling direct x?

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
yep =(

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sorry to say it kind of sounds like either the video card is hatched or your monitor just doesn't support high-end graphics or possibly your windows is corrupt...