Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install Windows XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

Alex Super

Alex Super

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi,

I recently got an old computer from from my friend and I was trying to install Windows XP SP2 on it.
As soon as it booted from the cd, I did all the procedure of selecting a drive and formatting it and then it copied files on to the harddrive and then it said that it will continue after reboot, but as soon as system rebooted it without asking went to the same point as it was before starting to install windows from poinf one.

My mother board it Intel
Processor Pentium III
Harddrive Samsung 80GB
512mb memory

I wuld appreciate for any help that you will give

THANK YOU

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Alex,

What is happening is that your computer is booting from the CD. During an installation of Windows, it has you select a drive/partition, formats the partition and copies necessary files to the partition. Then it reboots, loads those files, and continues to install Windows. What is happening during the reboot is that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD first, i.e. it will look for a CD to boot to, and if it doesn't find one, it boots to the HDD. When your system reboots, it finds the disk and boots from it, essentially starting from the beginning again.
What you need to do is set the BIOS to boot from the HDD first, then the CD. This will allow setup to boot to the HDD after a reboot, instead of straight to the CD. See your manufacturer's instructions for changing the boot sequence.

Alex Super

Alex Super

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you, The Admiral

Essentually I knew it, but it won't go any further if I do boot from HDD.
It says "A disk error occured, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete"

What else should I do???

Thank you again,
Alex

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
is the CD in the tray?

Remove the coaster from the cup holder until you're booted

wait.. you're reinstalling to post this?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you try to boot from the HDD just now, or after a format/copy? Again, you need it to automatically boot from the HDD instead of the CD, then manually boot to the CD to setup Windows.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
can you tell us your BIOS settings?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Try this:
  • Setup BIOS to boot from HD before CD.
  • Download a Windows 98 SE diskette image from bootdisk.com.
  • Boot the Win 98 SE diskette, select option 1, with CD Rom support.
  • Once you get to the command prompt, put the XP CD in the CD drive.
  • Enter e:\i386\winnt (e: is normally where your CD drive will be. C: is your hard drive, D: is a RAM drive then E: is the CD).
This should start the normal XP install. When it reboots, it will boot from the hard drive and not the CD.

Alex Super

Alex Super

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank to all of you, I followed suggestion of Ztruker and that helped me out,

Thank you all again...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You're welcome, glad it helped. Post back if you have any more problems.