Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Physical Firewall

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, if I want to use a Linksys router for a physical firewall, can I go down the path of the wall, to my Modem/router from SBC, to the Linksys, and then to the computers?

I have been told this can cause communication issues, but I would think this would be ok....

Please advise,

Thanks,

Cheese

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi psychocheesemaster,

There can be IP conflicts if both devices use the same LAN addressing. Linksys by default use 192.168.1.x for its LAN addressing as do most ISP modems. This can confuse both devices.

The two way I use to avoid conflicts are:
A. Bridge the Modem. All ISP tech support should be able to tell how to do this and if they are any good at all they give the settings needed for the linksys and help you set it up.
B. Change the LAN IP in one of the devices. EG. The Linksys default is 192.168.1.1 . In the router interface you can change the IP to 192.168.5.1 and the Linksys will adjust your LAN to follow. This will avoid conflicts between the Modem and Router.

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey Silver,

Thanks alot for this advise... i will give it a try, however, will option B work with a modem/router and a router (is that what you meant)?

-Cheese