Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

files replaced w/ unrecognized ones (RESOLVED)

• Please log in to reply

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
'Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized ones. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.'

I have no disk. The computer came w/ the OS but no disk. I just got it running (the last guy to have it had NO business being anywhere near such machinesZ)

cAN i FIND OUT WHAT THE FILES ARE so i can look for replacements somewhere?

hmm.. what'd happen if I gve it a Windows 2000 disk?

Edited by PARIAH, 23 March 2008 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is there a \I386 folder in the root of your boot drive (normally C:)? If so, you can use this registry hack to point Windows File Protection (this is what is generating the message you are seeing) to it instead of asking you for your XP CD.

Copy the following red text into a notepad window then save it to your Desktop as WFPfromHD.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

"SourcePath"="C:\\"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"SourcePath"="C:\\"

Right click on WFPfromHD.reg on your Desktop and select Merge. Click Yes.

As a side benefit, this will also allow SFC (system File Checker) to run using the \I386 folder.

Edited by Ztruker, 20 March 2008 - 08:34 PM.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
no such folder :)

if nothing else, can I disable protection so it oesn't pop up every 10 seconds?
\windows\driver cache and also under
EDIT::

I have /i386 under windows\ driver cache, under \windows\servicepackfiles, and also under \windows\system32\reinstallbackups\[0001,0002...00010]\DriverFiles

would any of these work?

Edited by PARIAH, 21 March 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, they won't work as they do not have the full set of files required.

If you don't have the CD then WFP isn't doing you any good so you may as well disable it.

See here: http://www.microsoft...rchive/wfp.mspx

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I got ahold of the files; put them in C;\ or c:\windows

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What files did you get a hold of?

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I tried the i386 solution you posted, taking the folder from the XP Pro SP2 .iso

If I make a new (bootable) partition, could I put the disc image on their in a way that'd let me boot from that partition and have the computer install to C: as if it were reading a CD-ROM?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That won't work. It doesn't have all the necessary files to install XP from. You need I386 from a XP install CD.

Edited by Ztruker, 22 March 2008 - 10:02 PM.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
LEt me clarify. It is an install CD; it asks whether I want to install (new or upgrade[reccomended]), add optional components etc. I meant that it has SP1 and SP2 already integrated in.

Posted Image

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I know ZTruker is already helping you, and I am by no means better than he is, but I had this problem on many of my machines. After going through almost every forum and solution on the net, nothing but absolutely nothing fixed this problem, i narrowed it down to possibly being a svchost.exe piece of malware. To this day I have no idea how to fix it. I went to get help from the malware people, however the online scans we're proving to much for me (broadband in this country is to expensive) and I reformatted. That screen is the most annoying thing... The 'unrecognized' versions of the files it's talking about might just be malware.

This is just a thought, I'd love to see if ZTruker can help you with your problem so please follow his instructions and after that let us know if he has helped. Definately one of the posts that I will be watching.

GOOD LUCK!! :) :)

Edited by Adrenalin, 22 March 2008 - 11:02 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sory, I misread your post. Yes, that should work fine. Go ahead and create the .reg file and merge it then you should be able to run sfc /scannow or allow Windows File Protection to complete.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did the scan. It made that two-piano-key noise a bunch of times and then stopped. No popups. I assume that's good news? It would've told us if there was a problem, right?

I'll mark this as resolved, reserving the right to pester you again should the problem return.

Thanks for the help! :)

*happy dance*

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
SFC is a poorly written app that has migrated from W95 up to XP and I assume Vista. It should tell you when it finds something to replace and should give a summary at the end so you get some kind of feel for what it did.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Do i need to keep the file on the desktop (the ew entry we made), or can I delete it after the merge?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, you can delete it or move it somewhere for possible use at a later date.