Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help With Disappearing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Computer was reformatted a few weeks as the main hard drive stopped working. Had to change it to my 2nd hard drive after being reformatted and was working fine until today.

Had left the computer and came back 15 minutes later to find it had froze. Restarted it and it seemed to take a lot longer than usual to load up. Thought nothing of it but then was looking for something and discovered the 2nd hard drive isnt showing in my computer. Not in device manager or disk management either. Just seems to have disappeared.

There was no error message or anything, if i unplug the hard drive the computer starts up at usual speed, plug it back in it takes ages without saying there's a problem.

Tried google but most results seem to be for installing a new hard drive and that isnt the problem here as it was set up and working fine. Anyone know what i should try?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So your previously second drive is now your main drive, and the original drive has failed?

The presence of the original drive and the system taking ages to boot are a sign that the drive is defunct and needs replacing. They don't last forever, they're just mechanical bits that eventually wear out.

Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

So your previously second drive is now your main drive, and the original drive has failed?

The presence of the original drive and the system taking ages to boot are a sign that the drive is defunct and needs replacing. They don't last forever, they're just mechanical bits that eventually wear out.

Yeah was kinda thinking that but thought id try and see if there was anyway fixable.

thanks for the reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Had a drive like that a while back. Finally gave up on it. It also showed no errors and the drive manufactureres diognostics showed no problems. It is now a drive that i mess around with.