Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to get rid of xp

• Please log in to reply

dave2122

dave2122

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have been dual booting vista and xp for some time now and i think i will stick to vista how would i go about removing xp safely, the system i am using is an acer and in the xp hard drive section there is certian folders like acer and drivers and windows how would i go about deleting xp and just keeping vista

Thanks
Dave2122

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Congrats on the switch!!
Which drive is the C: drive?
Do any vista programs reference the XP drive? Check Vista for where the drivers are installed.
Usually, the two keep themselves seperate, but you never know.

dave2122

dave2122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
xp is the c drive and the windows vista section is a partition of it, the only think i wonder about is when i boot up i get an acer logo ect so if i format the xp drive all that wont load so will the pc still load?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So when you are logged in to XP, the Vista drive shows up as drive D:?
How did you set up the dual boot? Is XP or Vista managing the bootup?

dave2122

dave2122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So when you are logged in to XP, the Vista drive shows up as drive D:?

Yes

How did you set up the dual boot? Is XP or Vista managing the bootup?

emm not sure what you mean the computer came with xp as standard since then i have added vista

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
How did you add Vista? Did you need to use any third party program to set it up? After the Acer logo, what do you see?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Would you be interested in making Vista the active boot partition, and keeping XP?
This way you would boot in to Vista, yet be able to use XP if you choose to.

dave2122

dave2122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i used no third party apps i just put my vista disk in and made it install to the D: drive and then when i boot up pc it gives me an option on what i would like to boot into

dave2122

dave2122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm guessing you've done most of this, if you need special instructions, let us know.
Boot to the Vista DVD, and select your region and language. Click on "Repair your computer," then select Windows Vista and press next. Click on Command Prompt in the list of recovery tools. This will get you into a command prompt. type in format c: and press enter. This will format your C: drive, removing all data. When it is done, type in exit and press enter. This will get you back to the list of recovery options. Press the button for Startup Repair, and run it. When it is done, your computer should reboot right into windows vista, and you should have a nice empty c: drive.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Quote: "I want to get rid of XP"

Now there's a novelty. Most people I know want there XP back and to get rid of Vista!
You must be one of the lucky ones who've had no reason to hate it -- yet.
Joking aside, I hope your good fortune continues.

Edited by pip22, 29 March 2008 - 02:46 PM.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Under the asumption that both partitions are seperate, and XP is managing the boot parameters, you should be able to wipe the XP partition, then boot to your Vista DVD and go into the repair console to use the fixmbr command. I am not 100% sure on this, as other people mentioned, most people are looking to get XP back, so I have had a little more experience doing this the other way around. Ideally, you might want to use something like Acronis True Image to backup the entire drive somewhere else, and make a bootable media disk so you can recover the entire drive if it becomes necessary.

Other than that, GOOD LUCK, I made the transition not too long ago, and have been very happy ever since with Vista.