Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't do a backup of my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I reinstalled XP Pro on my HP 750C this past Monday. It's a 1.8Ghz CPU, 1GB Ram, 250GB and 160GB internal IDE drives.

When I try to create a backup using DriveImage XML, I'm getting the following error:

[attachment=19332:dixml_error.gif]

The Event Viewer has the following:

[attachment=19333:eventviewer.gif]

I've been fighting this for 3 days and am about ready to format and do another install but before I do, thought I'd ask for help here.

I've tried every fix I found via Google searches.

I made registry changes, added or removed keys
Re-registered some VSS dlls with this batch file:

c:
cd \windows\system32
net stop vss
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
rem regsvr32 vssui.dll (not part of XP Home or Pro)
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
vssadmin list providers
vssadmin list writers

The list providers and list writers both work correctly.

Made sure RPC server is running and vssvc.exe is running in Task Manager.

I know I'm leaving out things I've done but there have been so many that I did not keep track of.

Anyway, that's it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Turns out there was more wrong than just VSS. I couldn't run nLite and downloads were failing. I went through the Security tab and set permissions so I was the owner of everything on every drive, no help.

Finally gave up, booted UBCD4WIN and did a backup, then formatted and reinstalled. All seems well now.

One major difference. The previous install was with a nLite version of my copy of XP Pro. This time I used the original. I suspect I turned off something in nLite that I wasn't supposed to and that was causing all the grief but since I couldn't run nLite I couldn't see what I'd done.

I'm getting better at reinstalling though :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Haha i was just going to suggest not using VSS in DriveImage XML... but good to see you got something working!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The problem with using Locking instead of VSS is you don't always get a good backup, some system files are in use and unlockable so they don't get backed up. With VSS, all files are backed up.