Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! computer keeps restarting, won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

redneko

redneko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm completely new at this, and i've called up the hard drive support team. They weren't able to help me with this:
I just installed a Maxtor OneTouch 4mini hard drive and the computer wouldn't allow me to eject it, there were no options available to eject it. So i just turned off the computer before taking it out. So i took it out and now,whenever i turn on my computer it works fine.

But, when i try to turn off my computer it just turns itself off and then after a few seconds it just restarts. In the end i have to press the power button to turn it off. I tried using system restore, but it wouldn't work and cleaning up my registry didn't even help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Messing with the Registry is not advised here at Geeks2Go, as you could end up in a worse mess than before. In any event, hardware issues are rarely solved by editing the Registry. I would try bringing up the 'Advanced Startup Options' and, (using the arrow-keys) select "Last known good configuration" from the startup options, then press [Enter]. You can usually invoke the 'Advanced Startup Options' on most PCs by pressing F8 repeatedly as soon as the PC is switched on -- no need to tap it frantically like a woodpecker, just press it fully down about once per second should do it, until the startup options appear.

Edited by pip22, 22 March 2008 - 08:37 AM.

redneko

redneko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When the computer starts up, i usually can't access those screens. It just does the usual procedures and it seems like it ignores the keyboard and mouse, though the keyboard and mouse are both connected wireless to the computer. Is there another way to access the "Advanced Startup options"?