Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP on multiple computers?

• Please log in to reply

zaphirer

zaphirer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
We have 3-4 computer in our house currently with Win2k... if we buy WinXP, can we install 1 copy to the computers, or do we have to buy 3 versions of XP?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

One XP per system.. you get to buy at least three more licenses.. You can use the same cd, but you will need to purchase the licenses from Microsoft..

Or, go out and buy three more XP cd's !!

Murray

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Microsoft does offer packages where you get one cd but many different cd keyes as murray said...you can buy a regular version but if you already have 2000 on the machines, you can buy an upgrade disk as well

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
The EULA "End User License Agreement" states that you may install the Operating System on one computer only. In addition, Windows XP has to be activated. The activation process generates a unique code for your PC based on your current hardware configuration. This code is sent to Microsoft, who in turn, sends you a code to activate Windows. This can be done online or over the telephone. If your PC isn't activated within 30 days, the system fails to boot. This activation process supposedly stops piracy. In short, if you try to activate Windows XP on multiple PC's in the same time frame, Microsoft will probably raise an eyebrow. I have heard of people installing the OS on as many as two machines at the same time before, but that's a gamble if you ask me. When revamping my system once, I formatted my HD and installed a new Video Card. When I tried to activate windows, the system failed to activate over the net asking me to call an 800 number. When I did, the lady on the other end questioned me about my hardware change.