Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I get three (3) specific messages when my Windows XP Pro desktop first

• Please log in to reply

Ted128

Ted128

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I get three (3) specific messages when my Windows XP Pro desktop first displays on restart:

1. Data Execution Prevention - MS Windows.
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.

2. Generic Host Process fpr Win32 Services (encountered a problem and needed to close)

3. svchost.exe - Application error.
'0x009a9bbc' referenced memory at '0'
Memory could not be written.

Also, if I launch MS Excel initially, it acts as if the left mouse button is held down, highlighting the entire field of cells as I move the cursor.

After closing these messages one or more times and using Windows Task Manager to close Excel, I can launch my programs and run them normally, especially after a few minutes of work.

Occasionally one of the above messages does re-appear, however.

Also, today after running Norton scan, the fan started running and wouldn't shut off, even after scan completed. Windows Task Manager didn't show high CPU activity though.

Sometimes, the computer doesn't respond to a mouse click, say on a MS Word Quick Launch icon, and I have to go off and launch something from Google to get the computer's attention again. Not sure if that's the virus or Norton Anti-Virus.

Do the above symptoms indicate a specific infection?

Ran scans with Ad-Aware, Trend Micro anti-virus, AVG anti-virus, and Norton Anti-Virus 2008 all updated today, and none detected anything. Ad-Aware only found tracking cookies, which I removed.

I searched for the hex address on this site, and they seemed to find the answer but it was too complicated for me to understand.

I can download programs and run them but that's about it.

Would appreciate any suggestions. I don't mind paying for repair at a PC shop but don't like having my files in someone elses hands. I do have "My Documents" on a flash usb stick, though.

Advertisements