Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Videos being laggy and not smooth

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Whenever I play a video on the net (myspace mainly and sometimes youtube) the video is not smooth, it skips a few frames and what not. At first I thought it was buffering so I would pause it till the video was done loading and tried again but they are still laggy and choppy. My brothers computer runs it fine (same videos). WHat could be causing this? It only does it with videos on the net.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi brettxw.

Lots of things can cause this kind of behavior. Virtual Memory is one that has been mentioned quite a bit lately so it would be worth looking at.

First, in IE, click on Tools the Internet Options. Click the Delete Files button, check Delete all offline content then click OK. That will get rid of any accumulated Temporary Internet Files (TIF).

Next, check your Virtual Memory settings. Recommended values are
  • Minimum - 1.5 time installed memory
  • Maximum - twice the minimum
Following from this MS page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
1.	Click Start, click Run, and then type sysdm.cpl in the Open box.
2.	Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Performance.
3.	Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change under Virtual memory.
4.	Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
5.	Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum paging file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. When you increase the paging file size, you typically do not have to restart your computer.
You should install CCleaner. It does a good job of keeping accumulated junk off your hard drive. After you install it, go through the options and unche4ck anything you don't want deleted, like Cookies (maybe), History, Passwords, etc.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes. I changed the Initial number to the same number as the max number which was 1534