Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming problem(picture enclosed)

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi, just like to say thanks in advance to anyone who helps out. Whilst attempting to play GTR2, Toca Race Driver 3 and Grand prix 4, which are the only ones I've tried at the moment, the computer keeps going crazy. I had this problem a while ago but it somehow went away, now it has returned.

Basically, whether it be after 5 seconds or 5 minutes, during the games the screen freezes and displays any number of different colours or shapes. An image of a recent crash has been enclosed with this post to aid you in your diagnosis. It doesn't always look the same as this, just similiar. Sometimes only 10% of the screen will go, and sometimes it takes the shape of the car only; it's very varied.

My graphics card I believe is a Nvidia Geforce 7600GT. Im aware that's it's a little old, but It plays the games very nicely at the levels I have it set at, up until when it crashes.
When i check the temperature of the GPU in the control centre, it idles at around 48-49 degrees C. during the game, the max I've seen it reach as around 70. However, just before the most recent crash it was only at arond 50 degrees, so i don't think it's temp related. However, I have no technical knowledge so I'm only making assumptions. my comp has a gig of ram and a 2.80Ghz processor.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• GTRerror.jpg

Advertisements

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
*bump*

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

I had the same problem with my laptop when playing games that my card should handle easily(such as CS 1.6). For me the issue was that to much dust had built up around the intake and not enough air came through to cool the card, If your computer is crashing when using graphic oriented programs I believe it has to do with your card overheating. Can you tell me that when you play for a bit if your FPS gradually drops and then this colored screen appears or?

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Playing for a bit is increasingly becoming impossible. The latest crashes have all occured within literally 5-10 seconds of entering a game situation. If I've done it right, when the screen froze, even though it didn't go anywhere near as colourful this time, only a few dots, the FPS was at 132 I think, near enough the same as when it began all of 5 seconds ago. I also have a fan blowing into the machine and it's still doing it. I hope that information aids you Suerte, thank you.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Your computer meets the requirements of these games.

I'm not the best man for this, I'll give it a go, worst that could happen is one of the trusted techs here step in :). If you are pointing a fan at the GPU I can't really believe its overheating. When the game crashes do you get an ERROR message? If so could you post it here?

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
No there are no error messages or anything. The image i showed, the screen just locks up like that. Sometimes theirs hardly any colours and sometimes it jams up with millions of colours like the screenshot I showed you. Sorry I can't offer you any more information.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
No worries!

I'm afraid though that I'm not so much of a hardware person than a software person and would probably only lead you in circles from this point on, be patient and one of the trusted techs will get to you and do a much better job troubleshooting! The forums are rather busy but they will come around in due time!

Sorry and good luck,

Mike