Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help ocing

• Please log in to reply

j_bauer94

j_bauer94

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
right now I have it at 172x22 which brings it to 3.72(I think). I want to lower the multiplier but it won't let me, I have tried pressing ctrl-f1 which brings up more memory options but doesn't allow me to lower the multiplier. Incase you didn't see the description I have a gigabyte p35-ds3l with a p4 (lame I know).

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Only the "Extreme Editions" CPUs from Intel have the ability to change the multiplier. Some allow you to change it slightly but are not fully unlocked multipliers.

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
It' just like the older AMD Bartons where nearly all were multi locked past a certain date and time (eg XP2500) and all you could do was a straight FSB OC -- much the same with the locked Intel chips unless you pony up the $$ for the unlocked version.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Wait...lemme get this right. You're overclocked to 3.72GHz and you're complaining???
Your multiplier is at 22....and you're complaining???
Forgive me....I had to purchase an X2 6000+ Black Edition to get an unlocked multiplier....
My first unlocked multiplier was an FX 60 that I paid almost a thousand dollars for back in the day!!!!
I would say......get yourself stable at that 3.72GHz and be happy!!!

Carl

j_bauer94

j_bauer94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Wait...lemme get this right. You're overclocked to 3.72GHz and you're complaining???
Your multiplier is at 22....and you're complaining???
Forgive me....I had to purchase an X2 6000+ Black Edition to get an unlocked multiplier....
My first unlocked multiplier was an FX 60 that I paid almost a thousand dollars for back in the day!!!!
I would say......get yourself stable at that 3.72GHz and be happy!!!

Carl

??????

I don't know why you thought my post was so offensive, and I don't know why you thought I was complaining either... The reason I wanted to lower the multiplier was so that I could get a higher fsb, which means faster overall performance. Higher multiplier doesn't mean that you get a faster processor...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Higher multiplier doesn't mean that you get a faster processor...

Assuming all else remains equal, yes a higher multiplier means a faster processor.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Higher multiplier doesn't mean that you get a faster processor...

Assuming all else remains equal, yes a higher multiplier means a faster processor.
James

What he is saying Jame's is that a higher FSB with the same end product is better . This is correct because it will also force your RAM higher so higher FSB and lower multiplier can be better if your RAM can handle it.

Example:400FSB*8=3.2 is not is good as 534*6=3.2 because in the later the RAM is running 134Mhz faster (if the FSB is linked to the RAM, otherwise it doesn't matter at all)

Edited by Titan8990, 24 March 2008 - 12:23 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are other ways to adjust a RAM speed, such as the FSB straps and timings. Not only that, but a many believe because the FSB is faster, it can transport more information. While this is true, at this point there is no reason to believe that we can saturate the FSB. Therefore, if we cannot fully saturate the FSB, a higher frequency (on the FSB) is irrelevant.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 March 2008 - 02:00 PM.

j_bauer94

j_bauer94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
In my case it would be so much better to have higher fsb and lower multiplier because my memory is ddr800 and my cpu has a really low bus speed. Eventually I will get a c2d but for now I am trying to get the best out of what I have.