Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why can't I send emails?

• Please log in to reply

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, please, please, please somebody help me out here. Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the security section. For the past few days, I have tried to send email to various people and I cannot for the life of me send anything to anybody. Whenever I click "send", and I've made various different email accounts on different sites to make sure it wasn't just Yahoo, I'll get that whole "Mailer Daemon" bull. Now, the name varies from email account, but it's the same whereas it will continue being sent back to me saying something like "we apologize but we were unable to send your email".
Is this a virus? I've virus scanned my computer to death with nothing to show for it. Apparently my computer is fine but I'm not so sure. Got the feeling I'm infected with something but according to Norton I'm not. If it's not a security related issue, what is it and how can I fix this?

For the record, I'm able to send an email to myself to any of my other email accounts but if it's not me, the email won't go through.

Edited by Basket Case, 21 March 2008 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Basket Case,

This problem is most often caused by a "typo" mistake when entering your outgoing mail (SMTP) information.
Check with your ISP or have them walk-through the email setup with you.

Sometimes it's really hard to "see" the mistake, because you just typed it yourself and it seemed correct to you.
Another set of eyes could help.

Best Regards

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Doug. Really sorry, as my username implies, while I am a Green Day fan, I am truly a basket case when it comes to computers. Not too sure what to make of that answer. Are you saying my ISP is having issues at the moment and that's the reason I cannot send emails?

Edited by Basket Case, 21 March 2008 - 06:55 PM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Green Day Fan, :)

Definitely one of the finest young groups to come out of the past several years.
I suppose they are "old" to most folks now, but I think there music is fine.
They throw great concerts too! :)
_________________-

When you create an Email account in Outlook, for instance...
You will be required to Supply:
  • your Account Name
  • your Password
  • Your Server Type (usually POP3)
  • Your Server Incoming mail POP3 (pop.att.yahoo.com) <-- example only.... this is the ISP that I subscribe to at ATT
  • Your Server Outgoing mail SMTP (smtp.att.yahoo.com <-- example only.... this is the ISP that I subscribe to at ATT

and you will be required to identify whether or not Outgoing Mail requires:
---
  • My Server requires authentication

If you do not know this information, you will have to contact your ISP via Telephone to obtain it.
While you have the ISP on the telephone, ask them to stay on the phone and talk you through the procedure.

Best Regards

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there anyway this could fix itself in time? Never had this problem before and I have been with my current ISP for a few years now.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I made the above recommendations based on your description of several email sites which I may have mistakenly assumed you had "recently" subscribed to.

If not, then you "could" be having a domain name service difficulty.
The following will do no harm, may not help, but may just do the trick.
It's worth a try.

Go to

Start - Run - (type)cmd - Enter
(a DOS-like box will appear .... with a blinking cursor.

At the blinking cursor - (type)ipconfig /flushdns - enter <-- notice the required space in front of the "/"
This will take a "few seconds", some typing will appear saying the procedure was completed and then you will be back at the "blinking Cursor".

Next - (type)ipconfig /renew - enter <-- notice the required space again.

Again wait the several seconds until the blinking cursor reappears.
Next (type)exit - enter

Reboot your machine.
Try out your various email destinations again.

Just to be sure about "typo problems" .... can you telephone to a friend and ask them to send an email to you. Then you hit the reply button and send a reply back. If that works, you may have entered a bad email address previously.
(Not likely, I know)

Are you able to browse around the internet to any site that you enter?
Please report any unusual activity of your browser.

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Everything is running fine other than my email problem. I did as you suggested and have gotten the following message:

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

No, I can assure you I have not made a typo with any email address.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

The above message would indicate that your Network Interface Connection is broken.
That would "imply" that you would not be able to browse the internet with your IE or Firefox as well as having difficulty with email.

But I believe you indicate that Browser function is working OK?

If not...

Start - Control Panel - Network Connections
User your mouse cursor to highlight the connection you wish to use.

Next - File - Repair <-- to attempt to repair that connection

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Again, Firefox is running fine for me. Only problems I'm having is sending email. But yes, I did receive that message after following the steps you provided.

Edited by Basket Case, 23 March 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I really believe that your problem is in the POP3 and SMTP settings, or perhaps the Driver for your Network Interface Card.

Do you have the Driver installaton CD for your NIC?

If not go download it from the Manufacturer's website.

Then use Device Manager ---- Do you see any "yellow" or "red" warnings in Device Manager?

Use Device Manager to "remove" your NIC Driver.
Then Reboot to allow Windows to reinstall Driver for NIC.
You may have "point" the driver installation Wizard to the Driver file that you downloaded for your NIC.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Even though I think the above is the source of your problem, here is an interesting article about email:
http://ask-leo.com/w...ng_through.html

Basket Case

Basket Case

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Even though I think the above is the source of your problem, here is an interesting article about email

Now, I would be willing to accept that if there were only a few emails I couldn't send, but whether or not I know them personally, there is absolutely NOBODY I can send an email to.

I'll update you in a few hours and let you know if the CD fixes my problem or not. Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.