Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant go online without making a new connection...PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK Im having a bit of a problem. Without my router connected, I have to make a New Connection as a PPPoE Connection. With my router, I have to change my Internet Connection Type to PPPoE. The problem is that originally I did not have to do this, it was DHCP. Something happened to my internet, I called Verizon, and this is what they told me to do. Can anyone help me so that I can have it back to normal. Please, and thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you go online through a router that's set up correctly, you don't need to set up anything more on the computer. Just plug the network cable from router to computer, wait for it get an IP address and you're done. DHCP is correct for routers.

Reset the router, usually by holding down a little indented button for a few seconds, then set it up again from scratch and leave the computer as DHCP to get IPs automatically.