Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 2000 Pro will not fully start up!

• Please log in to reply

kkkaaayyyy

kkkaaayyyy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having an issue with a older computer that I just had set up with internet. The issue didn't start untill the internet was hooked up. First when you go to run windows it stops half way though the set up. I have gone to the safe mode, restarted, then gone to the windows restart, then restarted it and then go to the last known configuration and then it will restart, its the only way I can get the computer to start up. Secondly, once it starts and your on and running, a box will pop up saying that you have to restart. You can say okay or start later. I press restart later and it comes back after 5 min. if you don't press later within 5 min it restarts on it's own and i have to go back and restart the computer the same way through safe mode and whatnot to get it up and running again. CAN ANYONE HELP ME!?!

Edited by kkkaaayyyy, 22 March 2008 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there is the pop up telling you why you need to restart, i.e does it give you a reason?

kkkaaayyyy

kkkaaayyyy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I guess it said that it needed to upload a new version on windows. My bf is at home trying to get the thing to work. he said he just did what it said and it updated windows and the pop up stopped. But also Im not sure if you are knowledgeable in computers but we are having a issue with the computer loading completely. it gets half way loaded and i can't get it to load completely just normally. I do have a good amount of knowledge in computers due to my father but I'm not that good..

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
As for the pop ups you had, they were probably from windows updates. Whenever it asks you to install you should since it helps prevent your computer from exploitation (most of them are security updates), like your boyfriend did, just install when it pops up in the future, restart and it'll be gone again until another update comes around. As for the second question, a REAL tech will comeabout and help you with I'm sure.