Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply

acr1127

acr1127

• Pip
  • 3 posts
woke up, turned on computer, it does memory check, then runs thru the BIOS recognizes my 2 HDs and my 2 CD drives
does the floppy test
then i get the dreaded black screen with the blinking white underscore in upper left corner

have not added any hardware or software, didn't do anything but turn it on

only option available is getting into BIOS setup with DEL key (i.e. can't use F8 or F12 to start windows or anything)

tried to boot using my boot floppy (after making sure floppy was boot device 1 in BIOS)
tried to boot to my XP setup CD (after making sure CD was boot device 1 in BIOS)
all lights go on/off (i.e. floppy and CDs), but will not boot from those devices

i have been researching this for nearly 2 weeks (on my other PC), someone suggested taking out the mem cards to see if the motherboard was fried (i.e. if it doesn't beep it's fried), did that but it beeped so it isn't fried?

this is an old PC, but works fine for the kids' schoolwork and such, i would like to salvage it without spending a lot of $ (after all i could get a brand new one with better specs for around $400), but why trash it if i can get it to work?

any suggestions? should i just take it to the recycle place?
thanks for listening. (i was going to use an icon but there wasn't a crying one)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but when you tried to boot from the XP CD, did you "press any key" when prompted to do so?

acr1127

acr1127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
not patronizing, i just didn't give enough info
when booting from CD or floppy, it does nothing, there is no prompting, it just runs thru the BIOS screen, lists all the drives then goes to the black screen, drive lights go on and they appear to function but no prompt no nothing, the only option is to hit DEL for the BIOS setup

acr1127

acr1127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hello? is anyone able to help? it has been a week but i have not heard back. does this mean i need to ditch it? thanks.