Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc wont boot, no beep on POST. possible graphics err?

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there every one. heres the story, i was watchin a video on my pc when i dropped my little speaker down the back of my desk. this caused the computer to crash, and the video to halt while the sound just skipped over and over. now the first time i re booted it hung on the bios splash screen ( a neat MSI xwing by the look of it ) and the second time there was no picture on the screen at all, and no beeps. but when i take out the graphics card i get 2 short beeps then 8 longer beeps. my bios is an AMI, does this mean that my graphics card is at fault.

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 dual core 3800+, 2011Mhz, 256Kb L1, 1024Kb L2
Caption NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512Mb
1Gb Synchronous DDR2 266 MHz

any ideas on this would be really great, im really annoyed that i just got rid of all my old computer gear, i used to keep spares for testing!!!!!!!

cheers again

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are probably getting a post beep then a single long and 8 short beeps which is a video failure.

http://www.bioscentr...des/amibeep.htm

SRX660

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
How hard was the impact on your case? Did you check to see if your board is shorted?
I know I've said this in a few other posts, but it can be the problem here as well. If you have another video card to slide in go ahead and do a change out to see if that's the problem.

If that doesn't work, and you continue to get beeps on post count the beeps and their length and report that back.

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
the impact cant of been very hard at all, the speaker was a tiny one from a 5.1 set, but iwondered wether there was the remotest chance of the magnet messing up something as it fell past the back of the pc. i dont get any beeps at all with the g card in, and i get the video error beep code when i take it out. so does this suggest that ive got a problem with my video card? is there anythng else i can do to try an work out whats gone wrong with it? when i look at the tabkes of beep codes, i can never find the 1 or 2 short and 8 long codes? so how did you know that it was a video failure??? many thanks again

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt it was any magnet in the speaker. Did the speaker jerk the computer around?

By the way this was on the webpage i linked to.

1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective

Third one from the bottom.

SRX660

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
it didnt jerk it about too much i dont think, its a real tiny speaker, i saw that one on the web page, but mine was 2 short and 8 long, not the other way round, this was what was confusing me. cheers

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As i have said earlier, you are probably getting a single long POST BEEP, then immediately you are getting the no video BEEP of 1 long-8 short.

So you are stuck with no video and beeping when theres no video card. Are you getting a SINGLE BEEPwhen the computer starts up? If so then that is saying your computer sees some kind of video but does not display anything. Now you need to trouble shoot to see if the cable from the computer to the mmonitor is bad, or the monitor itself has gone bad. Checking with a borrowed monitor would tell you what this might be.

Nvidia drivers can be very picky in that if you try a different video card in which the drivers will not work. You will get a continuious loop of restarts sometimes that only a repair install will fix. So, you need to have a comparable video card to check that. Or you need to check the video card in another computer that does not have any Nvidia drivers installed. You will get only the windows 16 colors but it will tell you if the video card has died.

If the video card and the cable are good the next thing to do is reset the CMOS (usually with a jumper on the motherboard and see if the computer will start working. If not, then i would start thinking about a motherboard replacement.

SRX660