Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection problems

• Please log in to reply

favero

favero

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi:

I'm running on windows XP and using Talk Talk to connect to the net. For some time now I've had my modem dropping out on me. The link light just goes off and it restarts again, settlling down for between 5-15 minutes of decent connection before dropping out again. I did call Talk Talk and he suggested changing the RJ11 cable. I did this with no difference whatsoever. I rang tonight and got upped to a more advanced level of Technical support. He said I'd been given duff advise and I shouldn't be running a long ADSL cable anyway. I have to have a 10 metre cable as my PC is that far away from the master socket. He suggested having a long ethernet cable instead. Does this ring true with anyone as its starting to drive me mad now.

Any help will be gratefully received.
Fav.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Change your filters. Are you running off an extension or the master socket? Do you have any other phones or faxes or anything of a phone nature (such as answering machines or likewise) plugged into any extensions?

You can run as long a cable as your needs must, bearing in mind the physical line runs for miles anyway, up the side of the house, across to the telephone pole, down the pole, along to the exchange under the pavements and road... another 10m or so isn't going to hurt it in most circumstances.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 March 2008 - 04:01 PM.

favero

favero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have changed my filters. Yes the ADSL line is a 10 metre cable that runs through the microfilter into the master socket. Above the actual ADSL socket in my microfilter is a 3 way phone socket spliter to supply a spare phone that runs into the room where my PC is, an answering machine and thirdly the primary phone in the flat.

Fav.