Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My voice on CD

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there a way to record my voice and then put it on CD through my computer along with music downloaded from (paid) yes PAID song download sites? I want to be able to give a commentary or introduce a song (my voice) and THEN have the song play all on CD downloaded from my computer. Can I do this or is this impossible?? Please help. I have a laptop. Uses Windows XP, it is wireless. Not
too fast though. Please help thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do this all the time. Of course, i bought Cool Edit 2000 years ago and it serves me very well. Problem is Cool Edit 2000 is now called Adobe Audition and they want $300 for it. Pretty good when it cost me $90 back in 2000. There is an alternative. Its called Audacity.

Heres someone elses take on recording yourself. You will need to learn how to insert your voice files just before the song files but that is not very hard to do.

Recording your own voice

To start with, you'll need a reasonable quality microphone. This can be handheld, but a lapel microphone is ideal as it allows you to use your hands while you're speaking and you'll feel more relaxed.

Plug in the microphone to your computer direct (there should be a port to enable this). Just check the audio settings in your computer system preferences to ensure that the right audio input is selected.

Make sure the room is quiet when you record: extraneous noise affects the quality of the recording (for example, a noisy air conditioning system).

To make your recording, it's best to use some audio editing software on your computer (which you'll need eventually for editing anyway), and even if you use an external recorder.

There is plenty of (expensive) audio editing software available, but for our purposes, the best is FREE. This software is called Audacity, and has basic and easy to use features. It's available for both Windows and MacIntosh operating systems.

Try to be as relaxed and natural as possible when speaking. Remember, you are speaking very closely (in someone's headphones), so you do not need to shout or give a speech. You are conversing with one person, so make it conversational.

So download Audacity and install it on your computer.

Again make sure whatever internal or external device you are using that your audio settings in the system preferences are set correctly.