Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

TLL

TLL

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey,

I'm no professional at building computers - best I've done is install a PCI TV Card, although I recently purchased an expensive desktop and for some stupid reason I didn't even think about intel core duo/ dual processor but it has a high spec without the matching processor I was wondering is a new dual processor easy to install or should I take it to a shop and let them upgrade it?

p.s. Would lose anything on my desktop software & files if I did get my desktop upgraded

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I was wondering is a new dual processor easy to install or should I take it to a shop and let them upgrade it?

It's not that hard. A CPU takes like 5min. to replace.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

The big thing is figuring out what CPU is compatible with your motherboard. Please list all of your specs on your system for us and we can help you better. (Video card, motherboard, RAM, and the PSU wattage if you can)

p.s. Would lose anything on my desktop software & files if I did get my desktop upgraded

No you shouldn't. But it is always a good idea to back up your important data before you mess with anything in your PC to be safe.

TLL

TLL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
This is what i came up with after searching through my computer..

Motherboard: ACPI x64
CPU: Intel Pentium dual cpu E2180 @2.00 Ghz 1.99Ghz
RAM: 1024MB
Graphics Card: Nvidia eforce 6200 LE
Wattage is 250V