Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print images

• Please log in to reply

laidbackbill

laidbackbill

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I have a laptop. Uses Windows XP. It is wireless. So not too fast. Question: I want to ENLARGE a photo that was sent to my e-mail. How do I do this?? I did click on the size I wanted and then hit print. The image photo was still 3x5 on the paper when I printed it? Why? I have a HP printer. About
the size of a shoe box. Not the best HP printer out there but good enough to quickly take with me along
with my laptop. Okay why couldn't I enlarge the photo sent to my e-mail address??? What's wrong. It looked larger on my computer screen but when I hit print it was the same size (original size) sent to me by my friend. Can't I manipulate the size of the photo???? Why or why not??? Please help thanks!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

You probably just 'zoomed' the image on the screen, which doesn't alter the print size. Also, you can't judge how big an image will print by how large it is on-screen, they are two different devices. Screen displays in 'pixels per inch' while printer prints in 'dots per inch', and they never match.
You need to open the image in a simple image editor which tells you the actual size it will print at and will also allow you to make it larger. Be aware, however, that increasing the actual size of an image will reduce it's print quality, since it will contain fewer pixels per linear inch -- hence detail is lost.

Try this for a free photo editor: http://www.getpaint.net/

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'd recommend IrfanView. It's free and has an very easu to use interface for changing image sizes.

When you install, uncheck the two Google apps, they are unnecessary and just suck up system resources. I think it's the 3rd or 4th install window where they are offered (and pre-selected).