Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

100% CPU

• Please log in to reply

AcesHigh6789

AcesHigh6789

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop, Vista Home Basic.

Yesterday, this problem just started happening. I booted up, everything was fine for about 5 minutes, then all of a sudden I noticed my fan became obnoxiously loud. In addition, my laptop became extremely unresponsive and slow, so I opened Task Manager and saw my CPU was at 100%. I immediately shut down, waited 10 minutes, and rebooted only to have the same thing happen again, but it took a little longer than 5 minutes for it to lock up and stay at 100%. If I just let it sit there for a minute, the CPU percentage would go back down to between 30 and 50% and the fan would stay extremely loud. But as soon as I clicked ANYTHING, it'd go back to 100% and stay there as long as I was doing anything.

I've scanned it with AVG, AVG Anti-Spyware, and Ad-Aware and none have come up with anything.

From what I saw on the processes list in the task manager, svchost.exe seems to be the biggest contributor to it slowing down. There are a few others (PCMServices.exe) that seemed to bog it down, but I know this process has a history of bogging down CPUs.

What can I do to fix this? I've googled it and come up with dozens of different solutions, but all of them seem to pertain to an XP system..

Thanks.

Advertisements

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hey, the same thing started today on my comp.
Hope you'll find out what's happening there.
But for me, it's my PC, not a laptop.

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi aces :)

For the svchost file, right click it and select "go to service(s)". This will tell you what service is using that specific instance of the file.

All you can really do is identify what programs/services are hogging your cpu, then make sure they are running correctly. Once you know what is doing it and if its running properly (no errors etc) then you should pick and choose what you want running and close the others if they aren't needed.