Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Intel drivers failing when upgrading to XP

• Please log in to reply

P0rridge

P0rridge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have upgraded to XP from 2000 on my Dell Latitude D610.

Neither the wireless or wired LAN then worked. So I installed the Intel drivers for both (files R155386.EXE and R82742.EXE from the intel driver download site) , and made sure I was using the latest BIOS.

The icon for the wireless started to appear in the notification area bottom right, like it used to under 2000.

When I hover it says "Wireless network found. Double click to connect to a wireless network". But when I double click nothing happens.

There is an "Intel® PROSet/Wireless" program running but it does not respond.

Utilisation goes to 100% because of 2 processes - ZcfgSvc.exe and iFrmewrk.exe, which from my searches are Intel Wireless programs.

When I boot up under Win 2000 again the wireless works fine.

Tried a zyxel USB wireless dongle, including installing their software, but it wont run.

Have a Vodafone Mobile Connect USB device and it connect me to the internet with not problem.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Have you also updated the chipset drivers for XP? This could cause a bottleneck trying to load stuff. Also, make sure your Windows Updates are all done and there aren't any other outstanding issue.
Just making sure. :)