Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

about to buy this computer

• Please log in to reply

Common

Common

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
its a prebuilt. i cant build my own computer or order one online so i have to buy one in town. this was my fav option and best on the budget. there was only a couple to choose from anyways haha.
http://www.staples.c...;affixedcode=WW

i really like the processor it comes with. theres tons of good reviews on it.

also another question:

it says the HD is SATA but my old hard drive is ATA but is there a difference? my old computer crashed recently but i still NEED the files on there so somehow im gonna HAVE to get them back.

thanks

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
The link you provided does not help since it requires your Zip Code. (It finds computers in your area.)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the newest Motherboards have only one PATA connector on the motherboard. As long as you have only 1 cdrom drive in the computer you can hook up the same cable as the cdrom drive and transfer the data over to the SATA drive. I have even taken a connector off a secondary DVD drive in a computer to hook up a Pata drive to transfer data, then reset everything back to normal afterwards.

SRX660

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok heres the specs:

# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
# 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (expandable to 8GB)
# 400GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
# Super Multi DVD Burner with LightScribe technology 16x DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
# Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 with 128MB dedicated graphics memory and up to 287MB total graphics memory
# Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps network interface
# 56K Modem
# Ports: 15-in-1 memory card reader, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 FireWire, Headphone, Microphone, 2PS/2, Digital Audio In/Out, LAN, Microphone/Line-in/Line-out, Rear-Speaker-out, Side-speaker out, Centre sub-woofer
# HP multimedia keyboard and scroller mouse
# Windows Vista Home Premium
# Software Included: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 (60 days complimentary live update); HP Photosmart Essential, Muvee AutoProducer Basic, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe, Microsoft Works 9, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (60-day trial version), Adobe Reader 8.0, HP Total Care Advisor
# 16.28L x 6.89"W x 15.24H
# Weight: 22lbs unpackaged
# 1-Year Limited Warranty.

total of 809.95 + taxes

the one that i was comparing was this one. similar specs and same price

# 3.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
# 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (expandable to 8GB)
# 640GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
# Super Multi DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology 16x DVDR, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
# NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory and up to 1343MB total graphics memory
# Integrated 10/100BASE-T LAN
# 56K Modem
# NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner and FM tuner
# HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
# Ports: 15-in-1 Memory Card Reader, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 FireWire, Headphone; Microphone; Audio L/R-in; s-video in; Composite Video; 2 PS/2; Digital Audio Out; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out; Rear speaker-out; Side speaker-out; Centre (subwoofer); VGA-out
# Windows Vista Home Premium
# Software Included: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 (60 days complimentary live update); HP Total Care Advisor, Adobe reader 8.0, Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007(60-day trial version), Microsoft Works 9, HP Photosmart Essential, Muvee AutoProducer Basic, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
# 15.16L/D x 7.60W x 16.54H
# Weight: 32lbs
# 1-Year Limited Warranty.

i guess in the end the CPU won me over

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This sounds like one of the new Gateway FX machines.
Is that what it is?
If so....the desktop they are making now both in AMD and Intel is just ridiculous.....I'm shocked that a brand name company came out with something like that. Of course, these people are now doing their best to compete with Alienware and the others out there building gaming machines, and top of the line desktops. I have two clients that purchased FX's and both of them love them. One purchased the laptop with the AMD and the other purchased the Desktop with the Q6600.

I know Canada has their own TigerDirect site (http://www.tigerdirect.ca) so there should be no reason you can't build your own for around the same price you're looking to purchase this one. Now....if you're in some remote part of saskatchewan (did I even spell that right) you may not be able to get bobby to deliver your packages out there....aye.....

Good luck,
Carl

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since you're canadian, I suggest buying from www.NCIX.com and having them build it for you. It costs them 50$ to build your PC, if you go this route, you're going to be much happier with your computer.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 March 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i dont want to build a computer mainly because i dont think that i could haha. also i dont want to order it online or anything because of warranty issues and whatnot. it would be easier just to buy one from a store in my area and if any problems go to the store instead of shipping it back or something

ok so the brand that makes those computers listed up there is Hewlett Pavillion. its a pretty well known brand

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's people like you that make me happy I have stock in HP and Gateway. :))

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

ok so the brand that makes those computers listed up there is Hewlett Pavillion. its a pretty well known brand

Honestly, they are all the same. To break it down, they all offer over the phone service from people in india, it's all lower grade hardware, they all load the hard drives with junk "to make the computer cheaper" and each one will always have a dud. They are all the same and if someone says one is worse then the other it's because they have heard of more bad things about said company. Either way, every company will have a lemon at some point. What it comes down to, just get the best computer that suits your needs and don't worry about the brand as it's basically irrelevant.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 March 2008 - 08:08 PM.

Common

Common

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
^^cool never looked at it that way

decided to go with the build with intel quad processor

not to sure but nothing really runs faster compared to my old computer

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Actually, in response to saying that all computer manufacturers are the same - I somewhat disagree. E.g. Sony VAIO's generally come with more "advanced" hardware and newer technology - I know as well that all companies get into that, but some companies tend to have better functioning computers simply due to their manufacturing process and choice.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Actually, in response to saying that all computer manufacturers are the same - I somewhat disagree. E.g. Sony VAIO's generally come with more "advanced" hardware and newer technology - I know as well that all companies get into that, but some companies tend to have better functioning computers simply due to their manufacturing process and choice.

Ultimately they are all the same, if one was so much worse then the other, that company would be out of business by now. As for the Sony VAIO's having more advanced hardware, this is untrue.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 March 2008 - 08:34 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Of course if a computer has better hardware than a computer of another brand, it will perform better than a computer with lesser hardware. It will also be more expensive. I think James' point is that if the computers have relatively similar hardware configurations, the brand you choose has little effect, which I agree with. Just about every mainstream commercial computer manufacturer has a range of computers ranging from low to high end, so you can't really generalize like that.