Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot turn on my wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, I recently got a virus on my computer, which reset my wireless connection to not start somehow. I cannot figure out how to start it. When I go to the services and try to start the wireless config it says a dependency failed. I have the event logs at exactly the time the virus hit my computer and what it did with authority and things for a variety of services.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

You said a dependency failed, which means that a Microsoft Service that is supposed to run isn't running. Let's go ahead and make sure all of your system files are in place. With the Toshiba XP CD in the drive, click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Type in sfc /scannow (with a space between sfc and the /) and press Enter. This will start a scan of your system files, replacing bad files with those from the cache (backup) or the CD. So the CD isn't required, but it may not be able to fix everything if you don't have it.
Reboot and try again. Let us know what happens!

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi thank you very much for the help. I am running vista, is it the Toshiba vista product recovery dvd-roms I need to use? If so there are 2, which one do I use?

I tried running the scan with both cds, and I got the same results. I got the following message:

Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

It also give me a log with details called cbs.log

where should I go from here?

thank you again

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Have you tried again since then? Did it ever ask you for the CD while running? Sometimes the files that don't get fixed are just little files that don't matter.

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes I have tried again. It has not asked me for the cd, and I continue to get the same results.

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Do you have any other ideas of anything I can try?

Thank you

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
When you try to start the service, it comes up with an error. Does that error message show up in the Event Log? If it does, give us all the information from that log.
Have you tried doing an OS Repair Install (Only applicable to Windows XP)?

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok the message I get when I attempt to connect to the internet using my wireless network connection is "The windows wireless service is not running on this computer".

The error in the event log is the following:

The WLAN AutoConfig service depends on the NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error: The Service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The eventID is 7001, the log name is system, the source is service control manager eventlog provide.

Is there any other information about this event that would be helpful?

Thank you

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
No, that's pretty much all we need. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas on this one, except for doing a Repair Install.

hbcsdot

hbcsdot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is that the thing that is only for XP? I have vista so I guess no luck. Would uninstalling the wireless adapter and reinstalling fix anything?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
yes, that is the thing that only applies to XP, although I have heard conflicting reports about a Windows Upgrade doing a similar function. Unfortunately, the NDIS Protocol seems to be tied directly to Windows, so to reinstall the NDIS protocol, we would need to reinstall Windows.

I'm also guessing you got rid of the virus completely?