Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install/boot windows

• Please log in to reply

Tarcil

Tarcil

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently bought a new computer with the following components:

MB: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2
HD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB Sata2

I also have a old HD Samsung Spintop 200 GB IDE.

When I try to boot up with the old HD (200GB) the machine restarts when trying to start windows xp. When I try to boot into safe mode I get a question wether I want to load SPTD, which is a file related to Deamon tools, whatever I choose the machine restarts. I've tried to set CDROM as all three boot devices, but it just skips the step and tries to boot windows from the HD.

When I connect the new HD (500GB) I get the normal question to insert the system disc, but when I run my Windows XP disc it says "disc read error, please insert system disc" or something. This HD seem to only wanna be set to 2nd Master drive, it seems like the primary master drive is set to the IDE. Dunno if that is relevant or not.

So does anyone got an idea what the problem might be, and what can be done to fix it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the 200Gb has a previous version of Windows on it, it's not going to boot because it'll be looking for the hardware from the machine its come from, therefore it will not boot on your new motherboard.

Your not booting from CD sounds like it can't see the CD units at all. If you have two of them and they're both IDE, ensure one is slave and the other is Master. Board should then try booting off both of them regardless of which unit you use.

Tarcil

Tarcil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, im getting a friend over here tomorrow to test another cdrom, ill write when it's tested.

Tarcil

Tarcil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tested it and got it working with another cdrom. Seems like mye old one is dead so I bought a external cdrom and the computer is now running like a dream. Thanks for the quick reply :)