Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gateway not recognizing the cd rom/dvd

• Please log in to reply

wffdgsw

wffdgsw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My 3 y/o Gateway has stopped recognizing the cd rom / dvd player. Someone made some software changes (did not add anything, tried to make things run faster) without me knowing and the system does not recognize the player.

I restored it, and that does not work. I ran "add new hardware" and that does not see it. It will not recognize it in device manager, but when I reboot the light flashes. I have no idea where to look and do not think it's hardware, unless it died exactly after this person touched it. I would rather not have this person involved, for obvious reasons. Any advice would help. Thanks, Greg

Advertisements

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
wffdgsw:

Welcome to the forum :)

Disconnect all the wires/cables from the back of the PC. Open the case. Remove the cables from the CD/DVD rom. Plug all the wires back into the back of the PC.

Re boot the PC.

Reform a normal shut down.

Again remove all the wires/cables, from the back of the PC. Plug the cables back into the CD/DVD drive.

Re boot the PC. Hopefully the PC will now see "New hardware" installed.

BG

wffdgsw

wffdgsw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll try that, but this is a laptop. Not as easy as a desk. Any other suggestions prior to doing that?

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Actually lap tops can be easier, to remove the CD/DVD. than a desk top.

Go to the makers web site, search for how to replace the CD/DVD. It may only one screw holding it in place.

BG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Does the drive show in BIOS Setup? If yes, then you can try deleting the Upper and Lower filters as that sometimes resolves this problem.

First though, go to BIOS Setup and load defaults. How you do this varies with each BIOS writer but there should be something shown in BIOS.

Next, uninstall the CD/DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a CD/DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.