Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I have never re-installed windows before, i rekon i can do it fine but is there anything i need to remember? like, what to do about my new drivers, and so on.

Just any help would be good.

Advertisements

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Hi Alex:

First question is, why is it necessary to reinstall windows ?

BG

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Because my computer is showing signs of age lol :)

I do keep care of it but i have had it for 4 years nearly, i just want to re-start so i canstart all over, and then maybe it will work a bit better :)

Thanks for the reply.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
If possible, selecting upgrade will preserve your files.

If doing a full install from scratch, it might be wise to reformat first and all that- that way you really can start from scratch

IDK how they do it now, even my old XP comupter used A:/ drives for boot disks to prep. However I hear many new computers lack hard floppies, so you'll have to check whether you only need to CD-ROm or if there's something you have to do first

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.windowsxp...dexfullpage.htm

good instructions to guide you

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

http://www.windowsxp...dexfullpage.htm

good instructions to guide you

Those instructions will get you where you need for windows itself

you need to be carefull to backup your data first however
furthermore youll need to worry about your drivers.

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Oh right, i have DriverMax to export them for me, and i have a dell resource CD that has the re-format on it...

When i tried to do it though it said it wont do it because there is a newer version of windows installed. Know anything about that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to select the Advanced option which will format the drive and doesn't care about what is currently on the hard drive.

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Brilliant, thanks for all the help people!

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hi, can anyone help, it is saying this when i try to run the restore

"

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

"

:)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to create a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2,

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Right you lost me a bit there...

So i download the links, which i will then tell it the path of my XP installation disc and the SP2 file? 5 - 10 mins later i have an .ISO file that i can use to burn to a new CD, this time use that CD that i have just burnt instead of the original SP1...?

That about right?

Also, i have an external CD/DVD drive and that is my main since the in-built drive is not working (Ejecting or recognising CDs) so when go to the boot options it isn't listed, can you help m with this in anyway?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that is the process.

No joy with the external CD drive though. You need to replace your internal one.

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
MEh.. lol... That sucks.

Thats all i need thanks once again Ztrucker :)

and everyone else who gave me advice!