Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OpenDocuments on Office?


  • Please log in to reply

#1
RjBass

RjBass

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Is there a plugin or something that can be used to read and save OpenDocuments using Microsoft Office 2003 or later?
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
PARIAH

PARIAH

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I think MS refuses to use it since it beat .doc to become the international standard. Bad losers and all that

at this poiint, why not scrap MSOffice and just use OpenOffice?

Edited by PARIAH, 22 March 2008 - 11:32 PM.

  • 0

#3
RjBass

RjBass

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well that would be nice, but I'm afraid I have to many customers who have been using Microsoft Office for to many years to give it up. I have tried to introduce OpenOffice to some of them, but most of those who have been using Microsoft Office for awhile don't like OpenOffice and those who have used Microsoft Office enough to be considered pros at it constantly complain about missing features in OpenOffice. That being the case, at least 80% of my customers have chosen to stick with Microsoft Office even when having been presented with the free option of OpenOffice. I do sometimes get a brave one who wants to try OpenOffice, but 9 times out of 10 they come back to me to purchase Microsoft Office.

I keep both programs on my main computer because I like to perform the functions myself as I am walking a customer through a problem over the phone. But I still find myself using Microsoft Office more then OpenOffice even when it has nothing to do with a customers problem.

The main reason why I even asked about the plugin is because I am seeing more of an international trend leaning towards the OpenDocument as the standard format, especially in India.

However I did find a plugin by Sun Microsystems after a bit of searching. I haven't tried it yet, but it appears to be what I am looking for, check it out here - http://www.sun.com/s...lugin/index.jsp

It makes sense that Sun Microsystems would put out the plugin since Sun and IBM are the leading company's behind the push for OpenDocument to be the global industry standard. I'm going to test out the plugin on one of my bench systems and see how it behaves, if it's any good i'll be sure to post the results here for you all.
  • 0

#4
Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Office 2007 can or should be able to use OpenDocument files. Doubtful now that Office 2003 will see any support for it. The workaround is to save documents from OpenOffice in Microsoft Word format.

The .doc format is the Word standard, not the international standard for anything. It's just that Word is used here, there and everywhere that 99% of computers can open a Word Document with Word itself, and the other 1% can use the Word Viewer.
  • 0

#5
AlErT

AlErT

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i am using both open office and ms word .
and i save aal files with .doc extension and it never give me any problem i can edit same file with both open office and microsoft word
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP