Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Famous BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello guys, I dont know if posting this message here is correct please transfer this if I'm wrong.

I've been experiencing this error on my PC for the past 3 days now and it really gives me a headache. I was surfing the net when this happened. My system stops and displayed an error message 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I have no idea what this error is. This is the first time I encountered a BSOD message since I purchased my PC 4 years ago. I'm not good at computers and I guess I will never be. I surfed the net and found many possbile errors like cpu overheating, ram errors, psu etc. I did what the internet says, run memory diagnostic tools and I did, no errors where found. my HDD is fine, cpu fan is ok. I have no video card installed its built in. I dont know about the PSU i dont know any programs on how to check this.

By the way a few days ago I let my friend clean the inside of my PC bcoz he noticed that the temperature is 59'C. He removed the heatsink then he cleaned the fan and removed dust all over the heatsink itself. He returned the heatsink back and locked it. Is there any possiblity that this caused the error? I'm not saying that he trashed my PC but maybe the cpu is on its way down. But the temp is now 52- 55'C. Please guys I really need you help on this PLEASE!!! Tnx in ADVANCE!!!

This is whats on my PC:

Intel P4 2.4GHz
ASUS P4VP-MX motherboard
1GB DDR400 memory
Built in VGA
40GB HDD
ASUS dvd rom drive

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you know if your friend used thermopaste oin the heatsink when he re-attached it to the CPU?
This will create high temps. Also fans clogged up and not working will also be a problem.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thnks for the reply sir, I've been thinking about that but the temp seems to be fine because before he did that the temp is 59'C after the cleaning, it went from 49-53"C now. He did not use any thermal paste. Do I really need a thermal paste on it? And another thing, I recently found out that my hdd have bad sectors on it. And sometime when I inserted a flash drive the error comes back again I'm also guessing about the motherboard failing. I really dont know what's going on with my PC. Maybe I will try to swap hdd with friends. What do you think guys?

Edited by chickmazta, 26 March 2008 - 01:26 AM.

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Some information in the link below regarding your error message....

MICROSOFT SUPPORT

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one.....

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Edited by happyrck, 26 March 2008 - 08:15 AM.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Here is the screenshot you've requested. I have already visited mikesmrs' link. And it mostly point out to a bad processor. But I dont get any beep errors during boot and the temperature seems to be fine. By the way when I try to run chkdsk c:/r it just freezes at 35% could this be the possible cause of the BSOD? Tnx in advance guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the temps and voltage look fine

first...back up any data you can't live without...

try running chkdsk C: /f...if it will not complete then I suspect the hard drive is about to die...
go here and get the seagate hard drive testing software...run it

Edited by happyrck, 31 March 2008 - 07:04 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
happyrck,

Did I miss something?

I see his -12vdc at + 1.30 and his -5.0 at +2.90.
His +5.0 standby is at 4.10vdc.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
There's no problem in chkdsk c: /f and it runs fine. Does chkdsk c: /r takes that long? I run it for about 3 hours, Is that normal? Recently I noticed that whenever I turn my modem on, that BSOD always appear. Now I recall that since my ISP installed their modem it starts happening. Before I used the pc this morning I turned the modem off and guess what 4 hours of use and there no BSOD. And also whenever I encounter this BSOD and restarted the computer I noticed that the amount of memory I have is half the total amount. I have a 1GB memory after BSOD,restart then its 400+ something like that. Tnx in advance guys!!!

this is my modem "PROLINK HURRICANE 9200A ADSL MODEM"

123runner, sir do you notice anything suspicious? tnx for the reply ^_^

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I noticed that whenever I turn my modem on, that BSOD always appear. Now I recall that since my ISP installed their modem it starts happening.

contact your ISP... tell them what you found

Before I used the pc this morning I turned the modem off and guess what 4 hours of use and there no BSOD

do you mean you disconnected from the modem..

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

what did you test your ram with...

Edited by happyrck, 01 April 2008 - 06:23 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

happyrck,

Did I miss something?

I see his -12vdc at + 1.30 and his -5.0 at +2.90.
His +5.0 standby is at 4.10vdc.

I second this..
It does seem as if the power supply unit isn't doing its job..

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 01 April 2008 - 06:21 AM.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The error MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION mostly points out to a failing processor or a bad psu. My processor's temp is only 49C' to 54C'. As I recall there are some symptoms that can determine that the processor is failing. One of these is when the PC doesn't boot or it produces beep sounds and if the pc just shuts down. Please correct me If I'm wrong I just based this through experience. As of the memory I used windows memory diagnostic tool and memtest86+ to test it and there were no errors found. Can I crossout the processor as the cause of this error? Any suggestions guys cause I'm beginning to loose hope now T_T. Sir Artellos and 123runner, can you be more specific about the numbers you are seeing. If there are any suggestions you wish to tell us please do so Tnx! ^_^ in advance.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
The number represent the ammount of voltage your PSU (Power Supply Unit) should give to your computer.
There are voltages like +12, +5, -5, -12 etc.
Some of your voltages are going insane. as in a -12 going up to +1.30 thats 13 more volts then it should give.
My advice would be:
Try to get a PSU of someone else that you know will work and hang it in your PC.
If the problem continues then it wasn't PSU (which i find highly unlikely myself) if the problems stop then you might want to consider buying a new PSU.

Regards,
Olrik

mash potato

mash potato

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
sounds to me that it is the PSU.

back up your HDD and try a reboot from system recovery.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

sounds to me that it is the PSU.

back up your HDD and try a reboot from system recovery.

How can a system recovery fix a PSU problem???

Regards,
Olrik