Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

toshiba laptop A35-S159 shutting down after few minutes

• Please log in to reply

mblack18

mblack18

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
While looking at a friends Toshiba laptop A35-S159, we were convinced he had a virus, so we wiped the hard drive and started re-installing XP. After only a few minutes, the computer shut down, as if there was a power failure. I've heard of other people having this problem also, and hope there's someone out there who's familiar with the problem and the cure. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Advertisements

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
how old is the laptop?

on first look i began to think about a heat problem! do you know if the machine is running hotter than recommended?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I would think heat problem, followed by battery problem (it could be flat or not holding its charge) or an issue with the power pack or power connector.
The fact that the thing stops working outside of Windows rules out a software issue.
Of course, this could potentially be a mainboard issue in which case a BER would be the only option.

mblack18

mblack18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Neil,
Thanks for the input. but being the rookie I am at this, could you tell me what BER is? Thanks again,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
BER = Beyond Economic Repair where its more expensive to repair than to replace

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 March 2008 - 06:49 AM.