Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Wired to Wireless

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm looking for help with the following set up. I have 3 PC's and 1 laptop. I have Verizon Fios wired router hooked to all three PC's right now. I want to add the wireless router to this set up so that the laptop can run internet.

I've received conflicting advice. One person told me that the DHCP in the wireless would need to be shut off and one person told me this isn't necessary.

I've also been told to connect the wireless router to the verizon fios coming into the house, then connect this wireless to the LAN line of the wired router which will have all three PC's connected to it. I'm not sure if this is the correct set up?

I haven't received the lap top yet. My son is shipping it from Germany (he's Army) for my birthday. I am just preparing in anticipation. :)

I'm obviously trying to avoid adding wireless to all three PC's and buying a wireless box from Verizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DHCP works on wireless connections as well.

Plug network cable from the PCs into the holes on the back, set up the router with your provider details, then tell the laptop to look for wireless networks, connect to yours, job done.