Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FORGOT PASSWORD ON ROUTER!

• Please log in to reply

Percy Yeung

Percy Yeung

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had made a password for my WBR-2310 d-link router and had superglued the reset button (so no one will mess with it) and now, two months later, I forgot my username/password and I had locked some websites on it and I cannot access it. I believe it is blocking by IP address of the site. Can someone give me a way to bypass the login screen or give me a proxy? I require Java Applet to be enabled on it, though. Many Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
And here is the moral of the story: Don't superglue anything unless you really have to. This could have potentially caused more serious issues with the router which wouldn't have been covered by any warranty.
You'll have to take the router apart and see if you can simulate the rest button from within. A proxy won't help in this situation because it has to go through the router regardless.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You will need to either find a way to remove that glue or take it apart as neil said... Make sure you try any and all passwords first though. If you can manage scraping the glue off the reset button from the outside and finding a way apply just enough pressure to reset it, then I'd say that's your best bet.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This may sound weird, but unplug the router and put it in the freezer for about an hour.
Let the router set for a few minutes after you unplug it so it is not hot when you put it in the freezer.
You may have to use a little force, and push the reset button several times, but while the super glue is frozen it will be brittle. (and break).
Do not use a deep freeze, electronics can hande cold (while not in operation) as low as 20 degrees with out harm.

Edited by hfcg, 25 March 2008 - 05:44 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If you're going to put the thing in the freezer, please don't power it straight up from the freezer afterwards, let it warm back up to room temperature.

By the way, this tip also supposedly works for defective hard drives.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The idea is to make the super glue brittle so that it will crack and nothold the reset switch.
But yes, it should be left to come to room temputer before powering up.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

The idea is to make the super glue brittle so that it will crack and nothold the reset switch.
But yes, it should be left to come to room temputer before powering up.

I figured it's to make the glue brittle but just being nice to anybody who reads this in three years time, don't power it up straight from the freezer.
And for the sake of completeness, don't power it up while its in the freezer either. :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Actually with the hard drive trick, you need to run it while still frozen for best results. This is not recommended by anyone professionally, but its a good trick if you just need some data off a drive that you are going to throw away anyways.

I actually worked at a place that had a small freezer with cables run into it so that the data could be pulled while it was in the freezer. It actually worked like a charm in many cases.

Again -- not a recommended trick. If you run most electronics while frozen, you can bank on needing to throw them away right afterwards.