Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible Braviax [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Hi LinkJohnson

congratulations, your logs are clean :)

the malwarebytes scan came up clean, the SUPERantispyware scan only found cookies and the Kaspersky scan found no infections.

to be honest, you did a pretty good job of removing the malware yourself :)

seems to be running faster/smoother than when I was infected but not faster than before infection. Startup and Shutdown are also faster than when infected but slower than preinfection. I chalk it up to upgrading McAfee and installing Spybot S+D after I got infected.

those will take up more resources, especially the latest McAfee -- i would put McAfee down as being the main reason for the additional slowdown you are experiencing. i will point you in the direction of some ideas on how to speed up your machine from here.

in this post we will clear away the fix tools, reset your restore points (there will be infections lurking in there) and i will leave you with some ideas on how to enhance the protection of your machine against future infection.

====STEP 1====
clearing away the fix tools:

Make sure you have an Internet Connection.

Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to rech the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to beging the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
you can clear away the other fix tools we used

====STEP 2====
resetting your system restore points:

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

Instructions with screenshots to help is http://www.f-secure..../sfc_dis1.shtml

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

====IDEAS TO SPEED UP YOUR MACHINE====
this page http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html gives some good ideas on how to improve the efficiency of your machine and has one or two useful links to help your further.

====AND FINALLY====
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

andrewuk

Advertisements

LinkJohnson

LinkJohnson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Andruw,
Thanks for the kudos on getting some of the bad stuff off my computer but you got me all the way through it so I am EXTREMELY grateful to you for that. Finished Step 1 to clear away the fix tools. Finished Step 2 to reset system restore points. Went through that site that suggested ways to speed up my computer and implemented most of them including a disk defragmentation. And from your list I already use Spybot S+D, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and of course Windows Updates. The combination of Spybot S+D's TeaTimer, SpywareGuard, and McAfee at startup seem to be the only thing slowing me up. Once they load everything seems much better. I have an old computer so I don't have much RAM. I am going to install AdAware as I have heard good things. I'm also going to look into threatfire and ccleaner but they're not high priority. I'm going to read that article by Tony Klein now and implement anything he says that looks good.

I am so relieved my machine is finally clean and can't thank you enough!

Thanks,
Lincoln

I don't know if you had anything else for me to do to get everything in tip-top shape. If so, I look forward to it!

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts

I don't know if you had anything else for me to do to get everything in tip-top shape. If so, I look forward to it!

just ensure your security programs are kept updated. i make sure all my security programs are updated on a weekly basis and then do a complete system scan. takes about 2.5 hours, but it is well worth it.

andrewuk

LinkJohnson

LinkJohnson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Will do! Thanks again!

Lincoln

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.