Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

am stuck in the secodary user mode

• Please log in to reply

nomadfin

nomadfin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Am stuck in the secondary user mode and cant shut down .Can anyone assist ?

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
What Do You Mean by Secondary User Mode? Can You Give More information?

Are you in safe mode or nomal mode? Is the User Account "Guest"? Have you made any changes to the registery?

nomadfin

nomadfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HI Peter
thanks for your reply . I now have the problem sorted , by turning off the computer using the on/off button , which I thought was inadvisable , but did anyway. We have now eliminated the secondary user facility, and hopefully wont have the same problem again.I've only just got this computer and am
more of a novice than a geek !
laters fin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future...
Customize Your Computer's Power Switch

Another solution for Windows XP users involves using the power switch on your computer — but only after you've set it to shutdown Windows first!

If you power off your computer without shutting down Windows (and letting your applications save their data and close, if necessary), you invite a whole lot of serious problems! The correct way to do this is... After a fresh reboot of the computer... in the Windows XP Control Panel

click Power Options. Click the Advanced tab. In the Power Buttons section, under "When I press the power button on my computer," select "Shutdown." ..If this is not visible on your Advanced tab, then your computer does not have the hardware capability to do this job correctly... or the capability is disabled in CMOS... Click Apply.... This sets your computer so that when you press the hardware power button it will first do a proper shutdown of Windows, and then poweroff the computer.

Edited by happyrck, 25 March 2008 - 08:25 AM.

nomadfin

nomadfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi mr Happyrck
thanks for your help and advice
i'm enjoying getting the hang of this
albeit slowly !
Fin