Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bagle Worm, cant access Antivirus/hijackthis!plz help [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

verve

verve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i see the list only includes free antivirus. Would you not recommend any other antivirus? i dont care if it costs 100$ i just want to be protected properly for a change...

Advertisements

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Dave,

The free anti viruses, combined with the free firewall and anti-spyware are as good as any paid version. That is all I use, so I would not recommend it if I didn't use it myself.

What I use personally is:

Machine 1:

Avast Free
Comodo
Adaware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Spywareguard
IESpy-Ad

Machine 2:

AVG Free
Comodo
Adaware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Spywareguard
IESpy-Ad

As to the files and folders to delete, remove these:

Combo-Fix folder
CF-RC.txt

The rest, leave alone.

Regards,
RatHat

verve

verve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ok i hear you. nice one.

do i still need avira antivirus? im guessing, no?

also, i've just installed comodo. is there a way to make it NOT popup every 5 seconds...its a bit annoying that every move on the pc has to be authorized.. most of them i dont know what they are so i just allow them..like svchost and stuff like that.

verve

verve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
hi rathat.

avast is running and its all fine. pc starts fine. i installed some of the software u told me to get.

I have to say tho, after installing comodo, im not happy with the result. I rely completely on my machine power and memory, and this comodo thing just seems to eat it completely. startup takes WAAAAY longer than it used to, and this firewall pops a message nearly every second. which is slowing down my machine,

maybe i just done know how to run it, but to be honest, i couldnt care less of what's happening in the background as long as its not a virus, and this firewall seems to just ask me confirmation for EVERYTHIGN, not just virus/malware stuff..and that's quite annoying.

except for that, and hopefully, if it the firewall that's slwoing down my machine, IM VERY HAPPY!!!!

THANK YOU MAN. YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Keep Avira, it works right, so no need to install another one. Remember you only want one AV, one firewall, and one real time AS monitoring your computer.

Comodo, goes through a 'learning' stage, where it sees what you authorise, and learns your preferences. The popups asking you will go away in a day or so as it figures out what your browsing/internet habits are.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is to use Firefox instead of IE. It is much safer, and with the addition of the No Scripts add-on is virtually impregnable.

Edit: Sorry, keep Avast, and remove the Avira that was not working before. Got my wires crossed.

verve

verve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
thanx a lot mate!!!

so you think along with avast and comodo i should have an active AS? i thoughtt he avira thing was antivirus and not AS?

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Each component, AV, Firewall and AS does a different thing, which when put together would be what you paid for when buying an Internet Security suite. This way you don't need to pay.

Use Spywareguard's real time monitoring to safeguard your startup and registry. This is the only AS you need to give 'real-time' monitoring.

Take a look at the tutorials to get the best out of the AS's OK.

All the best,
RatHat

verve

verve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
rathat i wanna thank you one more time. cheers for going through all this with me..ill keep the firewall for now but if it keeps my system slow ill have to uninstall it. thanks again because u taught me a lot about my pc in these few days.

peace be with you :) dave!

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements