Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to switch of XP automatically

• Please log in to reply

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello

I am tring to get my PC to switch off automatically when I click the shut down button. At the moment I have to wait for the screen telling me it is ok to switch off I then have to hold the power button. I just want to click shut down and then walk knowing the pc will completely shut down.

many thanks
Brett

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I'm not totally getting your problem. When you click the shut down button a window pops up and tells you it is okay to shut down the computer?

Please clarify a little more please..

I have never owned XP but in every Windows Operating System I have ever owned all you have to do is click the shut down option and it does it all itself..

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply

I have also had computers that will shut down at a click on the shut down button.

My new XP pc requires me to click shut down it then goes off and closes everthing down but unless I wait for it to do this it will not power down. I then get a message to turn power off after about 20 seconds I then need to press and hold power button down and it will finally power down.

I think I need to change something in the bios but I am not sure.

Brett

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

requires me to click shut down it then goes off and closes everthing down but unless I wait for it to do this it will not power down

What closes down before you hold the power button? The screen?

Edited by Krusha, 24 March 2008 - 09:07 AM.

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My pc goes through the shut down routine and then gives a message It is now safe to turn off your computer I then need to press and hold the power button

I just want it to shut itself down completely

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

My pc goes through the shut down routine and then gives a message It is now safe to turn off your computer I then need to press and hold the power button

I just want it to shut itself down completely

What routine? I have an old Windows 98 computer that shuts completely down but gives a quick message ''It is now safe to turn off your computer'' which means it is now safe to cut power completely. When it gives you this message, does anything inside the computer still sound like it is running?

Please forgive me if If I seem to be asking a lot of dumb questions but I don't want to leave anything uncovered :)

Edited by Krusha, 24 March 2008 - 09:29 AM.

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes the fan is still running

I want the pc to swithch off the power itself and have no need to press any buttons or turn power off as the power socket are behind the pc and would mean crawling under my desk to reach them.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Have tried just letting it alone when it comes to the message? How long did you wait?

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It will just sit there forever

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have XP Home and all I do is press, Start, Turn off Computer, which takes me to a dialogue with three options: Hibernate, Shutdown or Restart.

When I touch Shut Down in that box, it all happens on its' own. :)

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
hi,

Is this computer a laptop? If so, are you closing putting the monitor down? This causes the laptop to stall and not shut down.

Otherwise

Are you first getting a message that pops up say Ending Program with a progress bar? It could be stalling the shutdown If a program doesn't properly terminate.

jasperjaketopdogs

jasperjaketopdogs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is a desktop pc not laptop I want it to work just like mikesmrs pc

thanks for the replies just need the fix for my problem

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Powering down by holding in the On Button, is not good practice. :)

What make and model is your desktop PC?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Powering down by holding in the On Button, is not good practice. :)

What make and model is your desktop PC?

Yes what make or model is your computer? Or is it a custom computer?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Read these to see if they fix the problem.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;313290

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315664

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

SRX660