Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pchealth/ helpctr.exe/ Help and Support.

• Please log in to reply

oshoshitzu

oshoshitzu

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have mistakenly uninstalled pchealth/ helpctr.exe/ Help and Support. I have tried the following:

I went to C:\\windows\inf\pchealth.inf and right clicked install where a box informed me that the file dataspec.xml was needed off the XP CD. I downloaded dataspec.xml from I386 on the CD. A small box showed that dataspec.xml was being downloaded to C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries

although I cannot see it there dataspec.xml does show in

C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Config

After this I clicked on Help and Support in Start and a message appeared which said:

"Windows cannot open Help and Support because a service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'."

I have looked in the list of services (local); but Help and Support is not listed there.

THANKS

Advertisements

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Scroll down to 'Help and Support' and right-click on it and go to Properties.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and press the Start Service in the service status at the bottom.

oshoshitzu

oshoshitzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Scroll down to 'Help and Support' and right-click on it and go to Properties.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and press the Start Service in the service status at the bottom.

I've done this but when I click on Help and Support, in the start menu, nothing happens.

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just came across this in my search and should be worth trying .....

Help and Support service not running
Q. I have lost the ability to access Help and Support in Windows XP on my desktop computer. When I try, I get a message that states "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named Help and Support." How do I fix this?

A. The first thing to do is to check your services and see if this is running and set to start automatically.

Click Start, Run and type Services.msc to open up the Services Control Panel. Find Help and Support in the list and double click it. Set the Startup Type to Automatic and then start the service.

If this service is not in the list, then something has caused it to be deleted from the registry. In this case you will want to download HELPSVC.zip from Microsoft. Extract the helpsvc.reg file to your desktop and then double click it to enter the information back into your registry. Once you do this, Help and Support should show back up in your list of services.

It is advisable to backup your registry first. ERUNT (scroll down for the download) is free and effective for this task, unless you have your own method.