I built my own rig a few months back with the generous help from members of this board, and in the thread (can be found here for reference)
I briefly mentioned wanting to get a second GPU further down the line, and now I'm ready for it.
I have an EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 KO edition of graphics card. I've been reading up and as I understand it the 8800GTX's are being phased out in favour of the 8800GTS's.
Which means fewer places are selling the 8800GTX, and even less selling the KO edition is.
So I'm just seeking some advice really, some help choosing what to do now. I'll explain a few options I've thought through:
1. But another 8800GTX KO edition - these will be no longer sold soon, so if I want two of these I had best buy now. Problem is, they haven't dropped much in price since I bought the first - still selling for over £400 -> $800. Does anyone believe that these MAY drop in price soon, before they are all gone?
2. Buy another GPU, not the same. I'm a bit hazy here, but as I understand, as with many components in a computer, the slowest speed will automatically be selected on both cards, so if I were to do this, my 8800GTX KO would no longer be running full pelt? This opens a few more questions:
1. Which card do I get? A 8800GTS, or an 8800GTX. Will SLI be effective with either?
2. If I get an 8800GTX, surely I can overclock it to match my original card?
3. Sell my GTX, then buy two 8800GTS's KO.
Obviously the first option would be the most expensive, but I can get a standard 8800GTX for nearly half the price, so the second option would be preferable.
I'd appreciate any advice any advice anyone can give on this
Edited by Albino, 24 March 2008 - 10:15 AM.