- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5 and save it to your desktop.
- Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5...allows end-users to run Java applications".
- Click the "Download" button to the right.
- Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement". The page will refresh.
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
We're almost done here. Before we wrap things up, are there other issues you wish to address? How's your computer running?