Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot from Windows XP boot CD

• Please log in to reply

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yesterday, when restarting my Gateway PC, I started to receive this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I then decided to try to start it in Safe Mode after trying Last good configuration and received this error:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\config\system
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\config\system.log

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I then decided to try to use a boot CD and since this computer did not come with one, I found an iso you could download from this link http://www.answersth...nd_Boot_CDs.htm

I obviously downloaded the Windows XP one, and burned it to a CD using my laptop.

So after I put the CD in I pressed r like it says on the screen in order to boot from the setup CD.
This time I got this error:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Now I've read one of the hal.dll errors on this site as well as Kelly's Korner (I think that's what it's called).
Maybe I'm just dense, and I'm clearly not as computer savvy as many of you are here, but it sounds like to me with the boot cd, I should be able to get somewhere other than just the error screen. If this is a stupid question I apologize, but regardless, and help would be Greatly Greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!
You are presumably trying to get into the 'Repair Console' via the boot CD you created. Unfortunately you need a 'proper' Microsoft XP setup/install CD to do that. If you don't have one you should use the 'Recovery' media supplied with your PC, which re-installs a customised version of XP which matches your particular hardware, just as it was when your PC left the factory.

Also see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, thank you, just wondering, if I were to do this, would I lose all my files and such?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Both of the following iso images of the XP Recovery Console work, I've tried them.

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r Allow chkdsk to complete uninterrupted, see if that resolves the problem.

If that doesn't fix it then you need to fix the registry. This site has good, easy to follow directions on doing this: http://repair.tuxmas...org/kb/entry/1/

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you so much, I'm downloading this and am going to try it, and yes I use Active Iso Burner.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good luck, please let us know how you make out.

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
At 75% through the checkdisk, it stops and says there was a problem, I can't remember the exact error message. So I tried to edit the registry; it worked fine up until step 10, but when I typed in copy_registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system I received The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands. I then tried to change Windows to WINNT as that is what mine said at the start. I still received the same message. Anyway, any further help you can give me would be appreciated.

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry for double post but I didn't want it to get sent to the second page

I also thought it should be worth mentioning that I've tried bootcfg /rebuild which also did not work.

Edited by ras1619t, 25 March 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The command is copy _registry_machine_system

There has to be a blank space between copy and the first _

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well I did that, same result, thanks regardless for the tip about the space

Advertisements

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
anyone else have any ideas?

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello

why you r taking so much tension.
just go for fresh installation of windows. and if u lose any files on your desktop or in drive c: then there are various softwares which can recover your files . but there is no gurantee that you wud get all files recovered

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

why you r taking so much tension.
just go for fresh installation of windows. and if u lose any files on your desktop or in drive c: then there are various softwares which can recover your files . but there is no gurantee that you wud get all files recovered

seriously? "you could always play with this cobra....it might bite you...but they've got antivenin....there's no guarantee that it will save your life...but they've got it"

might want to stop with the chat speak too

ras1619t

ras1619t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I hate to keep posting nothing, but I'm hoping someone will know something. I'm getting closer and closer to just reinstalling Windows. Will that disk I downloaded be able to install Windows?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive one or both of the following error messages:

Invalid Boot.ini
Windows\System32\Hal.dll

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the Boot.ini file is missing, damaged, or contains incorrect entries.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, start the Recovery Console, and then use the Bootcfg.exe tool to rebuild the Boot.ini file. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or contact your computer manufacturer.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
  • When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER. If you don't remember setting one, try pressing Enter without a password.
  • At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
  • At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
    Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

• Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.