Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD partition problem

• Please log in to reply

bcji

bcji

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey, i'm new to geek to go and in need of some advise please.

I have recently backed up my system, formated my HD and re-installed Windows XP Pro because it was running extremly slowly. However, for some stupid reason i re-installed XP onto a tiny 5GB (appox) partition of my HD. The problem i have is that i have installed a number of programs, including the likes of Windows Office 2007 (a big file!) and now i am at the stage where i can't install anything else because there is no space left on this partition.

I though i had the answer by downloading Acronis Disc Director Suite and simply merging my 2 partitions together, however every time i do this, the program appears not responding. :S

I'm sure whether this is a really stupid query but please, any help would be greatly appricaited.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am not a big fan of the Acronis software. Most of it just plain does not work for me. Acronis TrueImage has let me down twice now. I like using Partition magic. I have used it on a number of computer to combine partitions without any problems yet. I have heard other complain that PM can bork the system, but that has not happened to me.

SRX660

bcji

bcji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thankyou for such a quick reply.

i will take a look for that program online in a mo, but is it free? can you give me a link?

also, is merging my partitions together the best thing to do? i.e. is it wise not to have any partitions at all? bcji

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just bought partition magic and Ghost 10( with ghost 2003) for $16 + shipping( $4) off Ebay for a customer. Heres something similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.symantec....v...p&pvid=pm80

You cannot run the computrer without any partitions. When it shows the drive as a single drive it just means the whole drive is partitioned as a single partition. because you mad a too small partition already it would be easist to just merge the partitions onto one large partition.

The alternative here is to wipe the drive, make the partitions to what you want, then reinstall XP back to the "C" partition. I personally like running 2 partitions, the "C" partition i make around 30 gigs, and then make a "D" Partition for any data of the rest of the drive.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 24 March 2008 - 07:07 PM.

bcji

bcji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Again, thankyou for the helpful advise. I just went out to my local comp retailer and bought Partition Magic 8 (I don't think its the latest but it was discounted :) ) Anyway, i tryed to merge my two partitions and it had the effect of simply trying to copy my largest partition of about 70GB onto my small 5GB partition. :)

I'm not too bothered by this because i have all my important data backed up, however it is rather frustrating that i can't just sort this problem out. Any help would be greatly appriciated, i just want to make the 5GB partition, from which windows boots up from, into the full 75 GB HD that i have. i.e. i don't want any partitions.

EDIT : I tryed to resize my 5GB partition, once i had unalocated the rest of my HD, but it says over a certain point (of about 7GB) there is a risk that Windows won't be able to boot up if i make it any bigger..HELP please..

bcji

Edited by bcji, 25 March 2008 - 06:15 AM.

bcji

bcji

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
problem solved now (Y)