Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Partitions Setup

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay this is what I want to do:

I want to setup my two partitions with one of them having Windows XP installed (c:) and the other having all of my programs (d:)

That's simple enough. I know how to set that up. But my question is. When I install the programs on XP they all go into the registry. And programs such as Firefox leave files on C: under the Application data folder. What I want to be able to do...Is say I need to reformat for any reason. Viruses, or future hardware upgrades. I want to be able to erase C and reinstall XP. And I would like to be able to somehow have all my "Program Files" on D show up under the start menu as well as the ADD/Remove programs list. How would I go about doing that?

Edited by Thexgene14, 24 March 2008 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I run all my computers with a "C" windows Partition of 30-40 Gigs and a "D" Data partition for everything else. I do install all programs on the "C" drive. I really don't want to install any programs on the "D" just because of the reinstall issue, and because i do not want to spend days reinstalling software and getting the system setting to where i like it. I like using just a 30 gig "C" partition because that is really all you need for Windows. A problem came up for me when i did try installing all the software on a separate partition in that when i had to reinstall XP the new install did not have the software registered, so the new OS could not find the programs. So, it is easier to just go ahead and install the programs on the "C" drive. The largest portion i have used for the whole system is about 16 gigs. Once i exceeded 20 gigs with a install of Pinnacle movie editing software that was over 5 gigs. The problem was that pinnacle kept on crashing, untill i finally just got rid of it and bought the Sony Vegas software. Even 20 gigs of software will still give you plenty of room for the swap file and temp files on the "C" drive. I did have to set a second swap file setting in the sony vegas software so the "D" drive could also be used for the swap file.

I use Ghost to make my own recovery dvd's. With Ghost when i reinstall the system from the gho files all the software and setting are there that i had set at the time i made the ghost images. What that does is make it so a hour after the computer completely crashes it is back up and running normally again. This lets me experment with software and not worry about borking the whole system.

Heres a real good guide on Ghost.

http://ghost.radified.com/

SRX660

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can't be done. No matter what you do, XP is going to write user specific data to the Documents and Settings directory tree. Also, when you reinstall, if you do a Repair, some of the programs will survive, some will need to be reinstalled. If you do a clean install (with format) then all programs will have to be reinstalled.

Even so, I have the exact setup you describe and prefer it that way. My rationale for this is backups are much faster since I'm only backing up 6-7GB of data rather than 40-50GB. I backup my C: partition at least once a week, but only backup D: every month or two or when I've made some significant software changes.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks for the help. I guess i'll just have to live with it.