Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply

Philliesfan49

Philliesfan49

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using a labtop, and I am currently in the safe mode. In normal mode I can log in but when i double click to open a program, it just loads for a while and never opens, sometimes even freezing. I have Windows XP, and an ACER laptop. I can't do system restore because i only have 1 which is when my computer is the same. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

I am using a labtop, and I am currently in the safe mode. In normal mode I can log in but when i double click to open a program, it just loads for a while and never opens, sometimes even freezing. I have Windows XP, and an ACER laptop. I can't do system restore because i only have 1 which is when my computer is the same. Any ideas?

Since you can get to safe mode why not try this?

To start the computer using the last known good configuration
Click Start, and then click Shut Down.

Select Restart, and then click OK.

Press F8 at the indicated time:

• For an x86-based computer: When a screen of text appears and then disappears (the screen of text may include a memory test, lines about the BIOS, and other lines), press F8. There may be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.

• For an Itanium architecture-based computer: After making your selection from the boot menu, press F8. There may be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.

For information about configuring system settings that affect whether a prompt for F8 appears and how long it appears, see "To specify the default operating system for startup" in Related Topics at the bottom of this page.

Use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER

Philliesfan49

Philliesfan49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That didn't seem to work... it went directly to the log in screen after

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating another user account in the control panel...user accounts...make a admin account...log into that account and see if you can launch any of your programs..

Philliesfan49

Philliesfan49

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried making a new account and had me as an admin but it didn't work

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its only one or two programs...uninstall them and reinstall them

if its all programs you can't open then you will have to do repair...the lowdown is here..